connect a signal to the AXIS power button?

More
21 Mar 2012 01:25 #18674 by arch dude
I just built my first CNC machine, (a Probotix Fireball V90) and I am configuring it, mostly successfully so far. I have all basic functions working.

I want to use the "machine power" button on the AXIS toolbar to control an output pin on the parallel port (which in turn controls an AC relay.) I cannot fine the name of any AXIS pin or signal that is associated with the "machine power" button. There is a status ("enabled".) There is a little text string in the status bar. There is an ijnternal state (c.state) on the python code. but there does not appear to ba a signal that I can attach to an output pin.

Am I missing something? I know that I can create a separate button using pyVCP, but that's sort of dumb considering that you must click the "machine power" button anyway.

Note that this is separate from spindle_enable. I have one of those, too, and it is successfully controllin an output pin, because it has a signal. The "machine on" controls master AC power to the DC supply that drives the stepper drivers, and also AC power to the spindle speed controller. The spindle speec controller then take a spindle_enable and a spindle_PWM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2012 03:37 #18679 by cmorley
If Your INI file loads HALUI then the pin is :
halui.machine.is-on

if not then look for a pin called:
axis.0.amp-enable-out
This is the amp enable for the X axis it will only be true when out of Estop and the machine is on.
There will probably be a signal connected to it already so use that signal

More
21 Mar 2012 12:00 #18684 by BigJohnT
To see the state of a pin open Machine > Show Hal Configuration and put the pin in the Watch window. Now toggle the machine power button and see if the pin you selected behaves as you expected it to.

John

More
21 Mar 2012 23:24 #18691 by arch dude
Thanks, all. I connected axis.0.amp-enable-out to the relay control pin and the button now controls the AC to the mill.

I must say that "amp-enable-out" is not exactly the name I would have chosen, but perhaps there is some history here. I am new to the CNC world.

More
22 Mar 2012 03:11 #18697 by cmorley
Well in this case the pin you are using is used to enable an amplifier / drive.
It just so happens that it also follows the machine power (which makes sense of course)
When EMC was first made it was made for servos ad servos usually have enable signals.

So that is why it is called what it is called.

More
26 Feb 2017 14:25 #88631 by Nondepietjes
hi,

I have a small question about this topic.
Can somebody tell me how to connect a pin to the machine enable button on axis.
How do i subscribe this in the .hal file?

Thanks in advance

More
28 Feb 2017 13:53 #88727 by andypugh
I think that the Axis UI "machine on" (F2) button turns on all the axis.N.amp-enable pins in HAL.

More
16 Dec 2018 15:32 #122478 by JC10

If Your INI file loads HALUI then the pin is :
halui.machine.is-on

if not then look for a pin called:
axis.0.amp-enable-out
This is the amp enable for the X axis it will only be true when out of Estop and the machine is on.
There will probably be a signal connected to it already so use that signal

Hi cmorley, do you a reference in the documentation ? I did not find anything so far.

More
16 Dec 2018 15:45 #122481 by andypugh

Hi cmorley, do you a reference in the documentation ? I did not find anything so far.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man1/halui.1.html
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/motion.9.html

More
16 Dec 2018 16:05 #122483 by JC10
Thank yoh Andy, i am discovering the html part of the manuals.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds