Couple hostmot2/Mesa 7i76 Questions

More
28 Sep 2016 13:53 #81034 by michalskig
I tested out my new 5i25/7i76 on a similar motherboard before swapping out the Parallel BOB on my mill. The testbed was a clean install of 2.7 and everything behaved nicely. I upgraded the mill's install to 2.7 from 2.6 before swapping in the new hardware and confirmed that everything behaved as it should. The only other significant upgrade was the spindle drive from a DC motor to a 3 Phase AC Servo motor and driver.

Last night once I swapped over the the hardware and the new configuration files, the spindle encoder stopped registering in the new GladeVCP widget I had tested and the at-speed isn't following either. It was late last night and I also have a wiring snafu on my home and limits I needed to bypass so didn't get a chance to pull up HAL Meter and look at the encoder pins to see if it was registering any/all the ticks it should. Since it was an upgrade I'm wondering if there was another package I should have also upgraded. I'll know more this evening but if anybody sees anything glaringly wrong with the above I'd appreciate the feedback and prod in the right direction. I didn't even undo the encoder wiring from the terminal blocks, and yes I did remove and re-seat the block as a first troubleshooting task.

Second question is reading an analog signal on the 5i25/7i76 combo. The manual for the 7i76 says

"Software process data modes 1 and 2 allow reading the analog voltage on inputs 0 through 3, in addition to the 32 digital bit inputs."

but I don't see how to set that process mode - is that done with something in the hm2_pci config string or is this a change to the firmware which I'd need to edit and compile to configure? If so that's going to be a project for later down the road. I just want to read the 10V torque signal off my spindle drive to monitor load on another widget in the Glade panel.

Thanks in advance - Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2016 14:28 #81038 by PCW
The encoder issue is likely a hardware or configuration problem of some kind which will
probably require poking around with halmeter and /or a real voltmeter

The sserial mode is set on the loadrt hm2_pci line with a a token like sserial_port_0=20xxxxxx
(that sets sserial device 0 to mode 2, sserisl device 1 to mode 0 and disables the rest)
The following user(s) said Thank You: michalskig

More
06 Oct 2016 20:25 #81312 by michalskig
Blown Differential Driver in the drive. Hopefully my youtube SMT research pays off and I can replace the driver and 2 zeners that blew.

Thanks for the clarification of the sserial mode config string. I think I've got my brain wrapped around what I need to do there. PNCConf set it up with sserial_port_0=00xxxxxx and I hadn't tied the terminology together but see where I should have gathered that from.

Thanks for the speedy response. - Greg

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds