killed my install

More
27 Apr 2017 18:28 #92230 by islander261
Help!

I have been working with the external_offsets branch. I was going move my machine to the shop that only has a wifi internet connection so I figured I would update one last time before I moved everything. Things didn't go well, after starting Linuxcnc again (RIP) I found none of my custom components there but worse yet that it appears I didn't get the newest Gmoccapy either. I figured out that the make clean over wrote all my custom component .so files so I guess I will have reinstall them. But the bigger problem as I continued to try and get the latest Gmoccapy and the external offsets is this:
jd@plasma1 ~/linuxcnc-dev $ git rebase -i master
configs/sim/axis/external_offsets/dynamic_offsets.ini: needs merge
configs/sim/axis/external_offsets/eoffsets.ini: needs merge
configs/sim/axis/external_offsets/hpid.hal: needs merge
configs/sim/axis/external_offsets/hpid.halscope: needs merge
configs/sim/axis/external_offsets/hpid.ini: needs merge
configs/sim/axis/external_offsets/hpid.txt: needs merge
configs/sim/axis/external_offsets/hpid_demo.ngc: needs merge
configs/sim/axis/external_offsets/hpid_panel.hal: needs merge
configs/sim/axis/external_offsets/hpid_panel.xml: needs merge
configs/sim/axis/external_offsets/hpid_sub.ngc: needs merge
configs/sim/axis/external_offsets/jwp_z.ini: needs merge
docs/src/motion/external-offsets.txt: needs merge
src/emc/motion/control.c: needs merge
src/hal/components/eoffset_pid.comp: needs merge
Cannot rebase: You have unstaged changes.
Additionally, your index contains uncommitted changes.
Please commit or stash them.

I am truly lost at this point and don't know how to fix this. TIA

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2017 22:15 #92240 by islander261
Ok

After my initial panic died down I realized that I had been here before.

I renamed my ~/linuxcnc-dev folder to save it.

I then followed the instructions from here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...h-rip-install-or-deb
Starting at --Downloading and Building Linuxcnc section substituting dgarr/external_offsets for the branch called for in the instructions. Everything compiled just fine.

Then I copied my old configuration directory over to the new ~/linuxcnc-dev/configs/.

Then I went through and did a halcompile --install on all my custom components. I am not sure if this was required but is easy and makes sure everything is up to date.

It works! Now showing Gmoccapy 2.3.0 as my current GUI. Is this the latest?

I hope this helps someone.

John

More
28 Apr 2017 02:51 #92241 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic killed my install
John,

I had similar issues and now I just patiently wait for Dewey to rebase his branch with master. I am pretty sure that there have not been any changes to Gmoccapy pushed to master since Dewey last rebased. I can't remember the syntax, but there is a git -- hard switch which forces your copy of GIT back to the main master branch. If you google it you'll find it.

Just be aware Norbert has acknowledged a bug I found in master overnight on this thread:
forum.linuxcnc.org/gmoccapy/32227-solved...aster?start=60#92225

It won't be a major issue for you but limit switch errors etc are being reported in the GUI, not in error windows in the GUI. Just keep an eye on the terminal window as you set your limits etc.

I found if you put your custom comps in the correct folder before a make (is it ~/linuxcnc-dev/src/hal/components?), they get compiled and installed but get blown away on the next git checkout.

Good luck with external offsets. Please keep the forum informed of your journey.

More
28 Apr 2017 12:50 #92263 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic killed my install
make clean will delete all the custom .ko or .so files, but you should still have the .comp files from which those components were compiled.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds