What do you guys think of this old Gerber machine?

More
07 Jan 2014 05:57 #42408 by chojin
I'm looking at diving in and buying a machine running on EMC 2. Take a look at the ad here: Link
Would be interested to hear of anyone who has used one of these Gerber machines or any other prepurchase advice. Machine has had the drives replaced with a Gecko g540 so looks good from that perspective.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2014 08:45 #42419 by andypugh

I'm looking at diving in and buying a machine running on EMC 2. Take a look at the ad here: Link

How much would it cost you to get it home from NZ?

If that is a sample piece it seems to do good work.

Converting NZD to UKP the price seems about fair for the size and quality of the machine. it's not a bargain, nor is it horribly over priced.

Why are they selling it?

More
07 Jan 2014 11:09 #42423 by Todd Zuercher
I do not have any experience with these particular Gerber machines. But we do have a couple of the Gerber Sabre models that replaced them in their line. They are OK light duty routers. The Gerber software kind of sucks and was geared towards the sign industry. But since that has all been removed... I don't know how well part support will be from Gerber, since those have been out of production for about 15 years or more. Does the table have vacuum hold down? That adds a huge amount of functionality to a light router like this.

More
08 Jan 2014 05:52 #42460 by chojin
Well andypugh I live in New Zealand (all be it about 5 hours drive away) so shipping is not necessary. The thing does weigh around 900kg though so moving it will still be a considerable task. I believe it is being sold because the owner has no use for it.

Todd, there is no vacuum hold down. Perhaps this is something I could add. There is also very little travel in the Z axis (only 50mm) so I was thinking this could possibly be extended. Are the Sabre machines similar in design. Do you think it is feasible to extend the Z axis?

Thanks for the replies guys, anyone else seen one of these machines?

More
08 Jan 2014 06:10 #42462 by chojin
Also I would like to be able to cut parts from aluminium sheet with the machine. I understand that these machines are highly over engineered and very sturdy. do you think the attached dxf is feasible? These are some of the parts required for the Lasersaur laser cutter
Attachments:

More
08 Jan 2014 06:17 #42464 by andypugh

Also I would like to be able to cut parts from aluminium sheet with the machine.

Have a look at Laurent's videos, he seems to be getting decent results in Alu with a wooden router:
www.youtube.com/channel/UC_Mjlpaikgv_ysvx0z6G6WQ

More
08 Jan 2014 21:44 - 08 Jan 2014 22:01 #42499 by Todd Zuercher
These Gerbers are made for cutting light Aluminum, and other such things.

I am asuming this machine started life as an AR-600. Here is a link to Gerber's web site and all the info they have for you to down load on them.
www.gspinc.com/default.asp?contentID=203#AR600
There are manuals and some maintinance info.
The X and Y axis are belt driven, and the Z has a lead screw. These machines were pretty slow (at least with their oe controls). And probably would not be very suitable for conversion to a laser.
If you are asking if this machine could cut out the parts to help you build a Lasersaur, then the answer is almost certainly. (You would want to have a mister for cutting alu, which I am guessing this machine probably does have or once did.)
Last edit: 08 Jan 2014 22:01 by Todd Zuercher.

More
11 Jan 2014 13:57 #42606 by captain chaos
If it were down the road from me I would certainly have a good look at it. I spent about AU$ 1,000 on building my 2.4 x 1.2 M bed router and then about :( two years :woohoo: perfecting it and it certainly doesn't look anything like as sturdy as that. I have cut and pocketed aluminum on mine. You may need to alter the gear ratios, mine has a top speed of 7,000mm per min on X and Y axis and around 3,500on Z but generally run around 2,400 to 3,600 mm per min on X and Y and 800 on Z cutting wood and various composition boards. Cutting aluminum around 300mm per min and around 200 for brass (brass is a pain) and a plunge rate of around100 to 150. I run my gantry on Gecko 540 with four 387 oz motors (two slaved on X axis. I have a cheap 1/2" router with a speed control which I adjust till the cut looks good.

More
23 Mar 2014 06:00 #45121 by uli12us
Todd, have you informations for Gerber Servodrives and Motors used in Plotters?
I have slaughtered an old Gerber Plotter and hold back the electronic parts.
For the motors I have found they want 40V at 15Apeak, the dual servo Amp is called GGT055369 revA
The only interesting part on this board is a connector J201 which made the connection to the contrller board.
I need the harness of it and if the card is controlled via Step/dir or +/-10V. Any other possibilities were not good.

More
24 Mar 2014 02:09 #45162 by Todd Zuercher
i don't have any experience with their plotters. We do have a couple of their Sabre routers. These use Elmo drives for their DC servo motors, but that is the extent of what I know about them. We are still using them as intended by the manufacturer, and I haven't really had to dig into them. I might go out on a limb and guess they probably use analog control inputs for the drives, but I really don't know. I would try looking up your drive model on the drive manufacturers web site to get the details you need.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds