What do you guys think of this old Gerber machine?

More
24 Mar 2014 03:38 #45166 by uli12us
I have searched on the Gerber site, but unfortunately the former GGT is now Gerber with much other parts. I have found nothing, but must try to call and hope I find a technician who can ask my question.
Actually I have bought a small CNC-lathe. I hope it works so, but it has a very bad accuracy, the smallest step is only 0,0138mm or a bit more than 1/2mil.
If I use the 2 servomotors with the drive I can have a accuracy in the range of 0,002mm 0,08mil. And a much higher rapid speed 160ipm vs 28ipm at the moment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2014 09:44 #45172 by Todd Zuercher
No I don't think you will get a lot of info on drives and such from Gerber. But I doubt Gerber made the drive systems in your plotter. You will need to scrounge around and discern the manufacturer and model number of the drives them selves. I would not be surprised if Gerber used a number of different manufacturers to supply the drives they have used over the years. That or post some pictures of what you have and maybe someone can recognize it.

More
24 Mar 2014 16:42 #45179 by uli12us
On the Backside of the PCB was the manufacturer "Motion Science San Jose Ca." But was I can found out is, that the company isn't working yet. Unfortunately, I can't get any informations from a closed firm.
www.corporationwiki.com/California/San-J...ce-inc/41080201.aspx

I don't know much about circuit design, otherwise I would try to "reengineer" the function of the drive. Thats only a doublesided board and the complete wiring Diagram can be redrawn. But that wan't help me, because I don't know the function of the different parts.

OK. I know some parts, 4N23 are optical couplers, 7555 are timers, LM201 and 2901 seems to be Op-Amps and a CD4066 is a digital Switch.

But how they all work together is nothing, what I can easily found out.

More
24 Mar 2014 19:46 #45184 by andypugh

"Motion Science San Jose Ca."

Anything like this? www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Science-DHB5006H...&hash=item19cc0f36c7

However, if the drives work, then it doesn't matter _how_ they work. You just need to figure out how to control them.

More
25 Mar 2014 02:54 #45199 by uli12us
Yes, but only similiar. On the Board is a label DHB5010-04 SN. 10098 With the Number of the Ebay Board its obviously, that this is the M.S. Number of the board. I know its no matter how the board works, but eventually I can find out if the Board is a step/dir or a +/-10V.

More
25 Mar 2014 03:15 #45200 by andypugh

if the Board is a step/dir or a +/-10V.

Step-Dir servo drives only appeared about 2 years ago, aimed almost entirely at the Mach3 market.

I don't think you will find them on any pro-level stuff, especially not older pro-level stuff.

More
25 Mar 2014 10:40 #45218 by Todd Zuercher
Wow Andy, the machine you helped me make a driver for must have been really ahead of its time built in 2003 using Teknic step/dir servo drives. (really doubt they were all that new back then either)

More
26 Mar 2014 01:52 #45248 by uli12us
I think Step/dir exists since more than 15 Years. All digital Servodrives from the big companies are more or less this principle.

Now I found a little more from my drive. It seems that the pins 1-4 are for I hope 10V X+Z, pins 5+6 are NC Pins 7+8 are the LED of an optocoupler (H11A1), Pins 9+10 are Collector and Emitter of another optocoupler (4N32). But I don't know, why one of the signals goes to the input and the other to the output of the OC.
Maybe the first is the enable and the second is the working signal to the computer.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds