Hurco BMC 20 Ultimax 3 Retrofit

More
25 Jun 2016 01:12 #76624 by Jake

Most GUIs have an override that lets you jog off the limits.

But you shouldn't be able to hit the limits anyway if the soft-limits are set up right.

Thanks Andy, I am using AXIS for the time being. I will dig through the axis docs to see where I can jog off the limits. Once I hit the limits it will not let me turn the machine back on. I am using the limits to home. This happened when I was attempting to home it.

HOME_OFFSET = 1.0
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -0.5
HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0.1
HOME_USE_INDEX = YES
HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2016 01:20 #76625 by andypugh
If you look just under the "home all" button in Axis there should be a check-box labelled "Override Limits"

More
25 Jun 2016 03:29 #76629 by Jake
I did find the ignore limits, I must be missing something still. I can get it off the limit switch but still can not get it to home.

I thought from the reading on AXIS that is should run to the limit on a home command, once it hits the limit reverse direction and once it comes off the limit the homing is complete for that axis.

I still need to finish the servo tuning. JT's servo tuning page is down.

More
25 Jun 2016 03:49 #76631 by jmelson

net Xminlim axis.0.home-sw-in

The last line links the axis home logic to the minimum limit switch, is that the one it hits when homing?

> HOME_OFFSET = 1.0
> HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -0.5
> HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0.1
> HOME_USE_INDEX = YES
> HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES

Do your encoders have index pulses? Have you verified that the index pulse is working?
Finally, the index logic has to be enabled during the homing sequence in your HAL files.

These lines are commented out in the file ppmc_io.hal, but should look like this when enabled by removing the leading "#" character.
net Xindex <= ppmc.0.encoder.00.index-enable => axis.0.index-enable

If these lines are commented out, the driver will never recognize the index pulse, so you cannot set the home position. With your above settings, it will search minus for the switch at 30 IPM, then search plus at 6 IPM but if it doesn't trigger the index-enable logic it will just keep running plus at 6 IPM. I'll bet those lines are commented out in your ppmc_io.hal file.

Jon

More
25 Jun 2016 04:00 #76632 by Jake
# connect index pulses to motion controller
# do these when index pulsing is figured out
newsig Xindex bit
newsig Yindex  bit
newsig Zindex bit
linksp Xindex <= ppmc.0.encoder.00.index-enable
linksp Xindex => axis.0.index-enable
linksp Yindex <= ppmc.0.encoder.01.index-enable
linksp Yindex => axis.1.index-enable
linksp Zindex <= ppmc.0.encoder.02.index-enable
linksp Zindex => axis.2.index-enable

There not commented out, but they are in the old format. I will verify that the index pulses are working tomorrow.

I am going to try to button up the servo tuning tomorrow also. JT's servo tuning page is working via my computers in the house, the computer at the VMC wont pull it up. ?? who knows.

More
03 Aug 2016 14:16 #78327 by Jake
Got all the limit switches working properly....just onto getting it to home correctly.

My limits send a signal to the PPMC along with a servo direction inhibit. So as soon as it hits the limit switch the servo will stop travel in that direction, and I get a following error. Looking at the homing setup I need to have

Search and latch positive, use index, and "ignore limit =yes"

Would this help with it shutting down as soon as it hits the limit? Or will I have to block the direction inhibit during homing operations?

Latch velocity is currently NEGATIVE and it hits the limit and shuts down due to following error.

Next question.....

Setting up the max rapids. I looked at the INI config and it is not totally clear to me as the PPMC has a couple different names. My machine is capable of 945 IPM in the X and Y and 590 in the Z.

It appears that my max velocity and output scale need to be 15.75 (in/sec)

Is that correct?

Thanks!
# First axis
[AXIS_0]

TYPE =                          LINEAR
HOME =                          0.000
MAX_VELOCITY =                  15.75
MAX_ACCELERATION =              1.25
PID_MAX_VEL =              1.2
BACKLASH = 0.000
INPUT_SCALE =                   -128000.0
OUTPUT_SCALE =                  -15.75
MIN_LIMIT =                     -15.0
MAX_LIMIT =                     15.0
FERROR = 0.001
MIN_FERROR = 0.005
HOME_OFFSET =                    1.0
HOME_SEARCH_VEL =                0.5
HOME_LATCH_VEL =                 0.1
HOME_USE_INDEX =                 YES
HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS =             YES
DEADBAND =                         1e-06
P =                                50.0
I =                                0.0
D =                                0.0
BIAS =                             0.0
FF0 =                              0.0
FF1 =                              1.0
FF2 =				0.0

More
07 Aug 2016 00:04 #78422 by Jake
Replied by Jake on topic Hurco Mill retrofit
Got a couple questions for y'all.....

My machine is a 30"X, 16Y, 24Z.

When I set the soft limits at -14.5 min 14.5 max then home off the limits I am then only able to use half the axis travel. What do I need to change to set that to the min or max value depending on what limit it hit?

I can get the x,y to home. Current challenge is getting the Z to home. I think it's related to the current soft stop challenge. Or is there a spot where I should be toggling machine location and actual location?

I have one limit for each end of the travel on each axis. I setup a relay to keep the pin on the servo pulled down during homing to get a round the direction inhibits that occur. I used a push button for now to close the relay. I would like it to pick up one of my SSR relays during homing operations if that is possible also.

Thanks again everyone it's getting closer!

More
07 Aug 2016 01:19 #78423 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Hurco Mill retrofit

Got a couple questions for y'all.....

My machine is a 30"X, 16Y, 24Z.

When I set the soft limits at -14.5 min 14.5 max then home off the limits I am then only able to use half the axis travel. What do I need to change to set that to the min or max value depending on what limit it hit?

These settings would be correct ig the home switch was in the middle of travel. The limits are relative to the home position. Your home position may be very near one of the limit switches. Assuming you home to the minus limit switch, and have a HOME_POSITION = 1.0 (so that the final home position does not leave the machine with a limit tripped) then your travel limits would be set to something like -0.5 and +28.5

You could also set the home position to +14.5, but then the machine would zoom at rapid speed to the middle of the table when the home operation is performed, which might be a bit of a surprise.

Jon
I can get the x,y to home. Current challenge is getting the Z to home. I think it's related to the current soft stop challenge. Or is there a spot where I should be toggling machine location and actual location?

I have one limit for each end of the travel on each axis. I setup a relay to keep the pin on the servo pulled down during homing to get a round the direction inhibits that occur. I used a push button for now to close the relay. I would like it to pick up one of my SSR relays during homing operations if that is possible also.

Thanks again everyone it's getting closer![/quote]

More
07 Aug 2016 01:24 #78424 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Hurco Mill retrofit

Jon

Z should not be any different than X or Y. Just start out with enough MIN and MAX room so you can home and then jog out to the area you want to, observe the machine coord at the end of travel you feel is safe, and enter those numbers in the .ini file for you MIN_ and MAX_LIMITs.

I have no idea how to do that, but maybe there is a HAL signal indicating that a home operation is being performed.

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake

More
07 Aug 2016 01:35 #78425 by Jake
Awesome thanks Jon, I'll be out there again in the AM.

Yeah I don't like high velocity surprises! 900ipm on this machine seems like it's flying

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds