HSS Engraving Cutters

More
29 Oct 2015 20:48 #64452 by Micromet
Replied by Micromet on topic HSS Engraving Cutters
Hi Nitromethane,

Again many thanks. Evidently running feed rate far to high and thanks for the compressed air/mist suggestion. I understand what else I was doing wrong re the hardened chips.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2015 21:30 #64455 by Micromet
Replied by Micromet on topic HSS Engraving Cutters
Regarding this mist coolant idea (which I could use on my desktop lathe/milling machine as well) - has anybody tried to make a DIY mist coolant spray unit using a car's 12v tyre inflator unit plus some form of pitot tube vacuum supply of coolant solution. The tyre inflator unit would be quite capable of supplying the required air flow through a small nozzle (after all it has to push 40 psi and a reasonable volume through the tyre valve) and a small bottle of coolant with a hypodermic tube at right angles into the air flow tube close to the exit would provide the mist. Just thinking off the top of my head although many years ago I did make something like this to measure windspeed through a tube - the vacuum at the hypodermic tube end was used to "pull" a column of oil up a calibrated tube.

More
29 Oct 2015 23:03 #64461 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic HSS Engraving Cutters

2) Is it possible using stock HSS rod (say 3 or 4mm diameter) to grind my own pyramid 3 face cutters - anybody have a website or video site showing best way to do this

This looks like an excellent opportunity to build a Quorn grinder, or to spend a fortune on a Deckel grinder. (or rather less on something else)

A useful search term on Google is "single lip cutter", that should find you a fair bit of information about how to make engraving cutters. But I got distracted by
www.engraversjournal.com/article.php/14/index.html

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds