Bridgeport Boss5 stepper to servo

More
01 Jan 2016 05:17 #67637 by Duc
Had to finish up the pulleys for the Y-axis and Z-axis but really needed a break from tuning.

X-axis
Reason why I cant change the pulley ratio on the X-axis. No dam room but I can buy a servo gearbox later on.
File Attachment:

Finished very similar to the Y-axis for the tig welding on the pulley adapter.

File Attachment:

Z-axis.
File Attachment:

Turned the boss off the Z-axis pulley.
File Attachment:

Fit like a champ
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2016 02:37 - 12 Apr 2016 02:48 #73139 by Duc
Forgot to finish the thread but the Yaskawa AC servos are working out excellent on the mill.

Got a urge to start setting up a 4th axis before I have a project need. No desire for a cheap unit that would only frustrate me or crap out later on. All Chinese and converted super spacers were off the table. I wanted at minimum a HAAS rotary but really wanted to justify a rotary in the Nikken, Tsudakoma, etc class of tables. We have a ton of Tsudakoma tables at work so I could use that as a way into tech support if needed. Ebay has alot of used rotary tables but difficult to weed thru the units unless you have a idea of what you want. Next was selecting a size that would fit on my bridgeport mill and not take up all the knee travel and weight limit. I was looking for a 160mm table but in the end I settled with a 200mm table.

Turns out a lot of people will take about 1/5 ebay price when you actually offer them money. Got this table for $1200 delivered to work with the tail support and hydraulic booster for the unit.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Once I got the unit home I was like a child at Christmas, Must open unit to see what I bought!!!!
Surprise surprise, the rotary had a Yaskawa SGMG-09A2ADS AC servo motor and not a DC servo motor like I was expecting.
File Attachment:

Switches for the hydraulic brake indicator. Dual switch setup.
File Attachment:
Last edit: 12 Apr 2016 02:48 by Duc.

More
12 Apr 2016 03:17 #73141 by Duc
Also opened up the covers to inspect the worm gear a bit and the motor gears. Dam near looked new. Beginning to think this had low hours and the job went under or the business did.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Now that I had a idea of what was in the rotary table, I could start researching interfacing the motor to my system.

Motor spec
Yaskawa SGMG-09A2ADS
850 Watt AC servo motor
8192 P/R incremental encoder
Sigma class of motors

At this point I would have loved to use a Sigma5 drive but all data points to that being a losing battle. According to Yaskawa website I need a SGDB-10ADG servo drive for this motor. I found a few on ebay but nobody was taking the low ball offers but manage to find a bid auction for 3 of them. I won one of them at $216 but others went for less than $200. One company was bidding against me for the units. Still cheap compared to normal prices.

Cables
I couldn't find shit for Tsudakoma cables on ebay and I didn't dare call the company for some. End connectors alone retail for $200 each. I did find the end connectors for $20 each on ebay and a 4 pack of 12ft supertrex cables (10 wire -16Ga) for $35.
MS3106F20-29S (encoder plug)
and
MS3102R28-11S, MR06-28-11P-A66-A106 (Motor power and I/O)

File Attachment:

Had to switch the rotary power plug to a female to match what I could find on ebay.
File Attachment:

Original plug
File Attachment:

More
04 Jun 2016 23:05 #75511 by Duc
OK I will have to get back to the rotary updates later but here is the INI and Hal files that are giving me trouble for adding a linear encoder to the knee.

encoder 00 is for knee
Knee is W axis
Attachments:

More
06 Sep 2017 13:51 #98581 by vista_joe
I would really enjoy reading your entries - however due to photobucket I cannot see any of your photos.
Thanks,
Joe

More
26 Feb 2018 18:59 #106546 by Duc
Might have sometime to fix that this week.

Also the machine will be for sell sometime this week. Decided to step up to a bigger VMC and no extra room in garage to keep the unit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vista_joe

More
26 Feb 2018 20:42 - 26 Feb 2018 20:48 #106562 by vista_joe
I would really appreciate that. I have been looking at the text but pictures are worth.... I also found your thread on the control panel interesting - hopefully you can fix that at the same time. Photobucket's changes really messed up many people...

I have a Boss5 that was converted to run mach3 by a previous owner. It uses the original steppers with gecko drives.
It also has a servo 4th axis and a VFD for the spindle. I plan to add many things that were not included in the original conversion (spindle control from mach3, stepper or servo for the knee to accommodate tool length changes - too little z axis now, encoder on the spindle for rigid tapping etc...)
Last edit: 26 Feb 2018 20:48 by vista_joe. Reason: clarification

More
27 Feb 2018 02:56 #106598 by Duc
So I cant edit the links in the thread anymore but Chrome with the Photobucket Hotlink fix addon will allow the pics to show.

More
27 Feb 2018 05:25 #106601 by vista_joe
Great! I searched for the hotlink fix addon and found a firefox version as well.
It now shows the images -

I'm sorry to hear that you are moving away from the Boss5 but you do what you have to do.

Thanks,
Joe

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds