XHC-LHB04 mpg quality?

More
13 Jan 2016 07:18 #68286 by bobobo
Hi
I'm retrofitting a medium size vmc (610x410x500 mm strokes, about 3500kg machine).
There is a mpg handwheel on the operating panel that i have hooked up. But it's inconvinent to reach the panel and I would like it handheld.
Now I have two options, either move the current mpg (and axis selectors etc) from panel to a handheld box or get a XHC-LHB04.
It would be less work with the xhc, but I'm afraid I might be disappointed of the quality feeling of it (like most other things bought from ebay China)
So what is your impression of the xhc used on heavy machines?

I read comments from mach3 users that xhc was "missing" pulses when rotating faster than slow, is this the same in linuxcnc?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2016 09:11 #68291 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic XHC-LHB04 mpg quality?

I read comments from mach3 users that xhc was "missing" pulses when rotating faster than slow, is this the same in linuxcnc?

If the pendant operates through USB, there will always be a chance of missing pulses.

I use a handheld MPG pendant on my mill for positioning and touch off convenience.
I find that a panel based one on the lathe is fine however.

Both are hard wired to parport or Mesa cards and totally reliable.

regards

More
13 Jan 2016 09:21 #68292 by bobobo
Replied by bobobo on topic XHC-LHB04 mpg quality?
Yes I understand there is a risk of missing pulses because of usb, but it is not really important if it misses one pulse occasionally, it's just jogging. The question would rather be, will it miss a lot of pulses if jogging at moderate-to-high speed?

And what is the feel of the thc-units; "industrial" or "playstation gadget" or "china-crap" ?

More
13 Jan 2016 12:15 #68306 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic XHC-LHB04 mpg quality?

Now I have two options, either move the current mpg (and axis selectors etc) from panel to a handheld box or get a XHC-LHB04.

You have a third option. Add a second jogwheel on a remote box and sum the counts of the two wheels together in HAL.

What interface boards are you using?

More
13 Jan 2016 12:41 #68307 by bobobo
Replied by bobobo on topic XHC-LHB04 mpg quality?
I'm using Mesa cards. (3pcs 7i84, 1pcs 7i80, 1pcs 7i48) so i/o's is no issue.

But to add a second jogwheel I have to buy something. If I buy something it would probably be some chinese stuff with unknown quality, just like the xhc is unknown for me.

Xhc would be simple to wire and configure from what I understand, so it would be convenient.
But moving my present jogwheel to a box, then I put in more effort, but saves a little bit money and use original equipment that seems to be decent quality (not top notch since it's a tawianese mill from 1987, but I think most electronic parts are japanese)

I don't think I would miss the jog-wheel on the panel much, except that it would look a bit ugly with the missing controls on the printed panel.

That's why I considered two options.
BUT if you can recommend any other assembled mpg-pendant with discrete wiring (instead of usb) with good quality and not too much money it's certainly an option.

More
13 Jan 2016 12:50 #68308 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic XHC-LHB04 mpg quality?

I'm using Mesa cards. (3pcs 7i84, 1pcs 7i80, 1pcs 7i48) so i/o's is no issue.

The 7i84 has an option to connect an MPG to some of the GPIO. Alternatively the 7i43 would mount inside a pendant and can handle MPGs, switches and other controls (including a potentially-useful LCD display):
picasaweb.google.com/1081645046564043805...#5795148928031590754
And easily connected with a CAT5 cable (curly ones exist)

I am going to hazard a guess that you don't want to spend this much: www.ebay.com/itm/231690835103

More
13 Jan 2016 21:55 #68330 by cahlfors
Replied by cahlfors on topic XHC-LHB04 mpg quality?
I have the wireless (usb dongle) version of the XHC pendant and am happy with it. It provides great value for money. I was positively surprised by the quality feel of it. It is not industrial grade, obviously, but definitely not crap. So, maybe "playstation gadget" grade is a reasonable description. The buttons are of the flexible membrane kind and will probably wear out eventually. The display cover plastic is too flimsy but the display is easy to read and the case is very sturdy and there are powerful magnets in the rear, allowing you to position the pendant on a magnetic surface of the machine. The handwheel itself is good quality also.
It does miss an occasional pulse once in a while, but I do not think that is a problem or annoying. You do not read the position from the wheel anyway. And if you do not keep your eyes on the DRO while precision jogging, the pulses are quite audible from the machine anyway and that is where I get the tactile feedback from. I am using steppers on my 130kg machine. The situation might be different with servos. There is a wired version available of the pendant, if you prefer.
One slightly annoying property is that the DRO on the pendant is not updated in real time like the DRO in LCNC. Sometimes you have to jog a pulse in some direction to get the pendant DRO updated.
The battery life (standard batteries) seems infinite.
So, for hobby use, this pendant is perfect and I would buy it again. For industrial use, you will probably wear it out prematurely and your staff will be annoyed by the DRO that is not showing correct numbers at all times. They are off substantially, so you can not miss that they are not updated, at least...
Good luck with your project!
/Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wirewrap

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds