Proto Trak Plus Retrofit, is it Possible?

More
15 Mar 2016 13:36 #71680 by new2linux
First post, so I would like to introduce myself. My earliest vocation was as a machinist, and still cut my own parts. Currently have proto plus, that must be one of the early models(will only take 250 lines of code) and there is no removal memory or disk storage. So need to be wise on how you approach the part, and that is why i am wondering if the controller can be up dated. I have the factory manuals for my equipment, if that helps.

I have 2 Balder/Ossseo drives with 500L encoder; 500 oz-in; 100 VDC max, if this would be a better starting point. These came off a Allen Bradley "Bandent" controller.

I found a MX 3 proto trak retrofit while lurking earlier, this controller is newer than mine.

I would like to thank all that make this place possible.

Many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2016 13:37 #71714 by Todd Zuercher
It would probably be a straight forward conversion to Linuxcnc.
What drives/motors are on it now?
Those servos and drives would probably be fine if they are in working order, but generally it is simpler to keep the old stuff to avoid mounting and wiring hassles. (Besides you need 3 for a mill.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

More
16 Mar 2016 19:09 #71742 by new2linux
Thanks Todd, the drives are Magnetek, 1350 rpm;1/3 hp;5.5 amp. The mill is considered a 2 1/2 axes machine, fixed "z" (the quill or knee; manual operation). The reason I ask about the Balder is that if all goes well I may have a second project. Is there a list of the drives that will work, the reason i ask is if i found scrap priced drives i would know what to look for.
If i have read the information correctly i can install a copy of linuxcnc on a computer that has windows already on it, i pick what i want to use.
Is there suggested reading, i have watched some youtube of the software, where do i start?

Many Thanks!!

More
17 Mar 2016 00:59 #71754 by Todd Zuercher
There are very few drives that are used in cncs that can't be made to work with Linuxcnc.

I would seriously consider adding the 3rd Z axis, while your converting the machine. (since you have drives and motors on hand.)
As far as reading, Linuxcnc, has very good documention, buy the learning curve is steep. But it has to be for such capible, versital, and complex a product as Linuxcnc is. The wiki found on this site is also a good source of info, but it is often out of date. This forum, and the Linuxcnc mailing list are very usefull and full of info and people who like to help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds