MELSERVO Help, Replacing Sony MILLSTATION

More
15 Jun 2016 11:30 #76057 by BigJohnT

And if I am beginning to grasp the basics of electronics, could I not also buy a relay that switches with 10V, use a general 7177 10v out pin, and use it to close the ground instead?

Relays generally come in 12v or 24v for DC applications.

This page may be useful to you. gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/configs/7i77.html

JT
mesaus.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: DesignBC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2016 11:54 - 15 Jun 2016 11:54 #76059 by andypugh

I will be connecting from my ground to ENAN-, and ENAN+ to my relay, correct?

Yes.

, could I not also buy a relay that switches with 10V, use a general 7177 10v out pin, and use it to close the ground instead?.

You could but that seems unnecesarily complicated. The ENA outputs are pretty much designed for the job you have.

You could replace the relay with an SSR and control that from GPIO too. I am using one of these on my lathe:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231742556113
That can be conrtrolled by anything between 3 and 32 V, but note that it can only switch DC currents up to 220V. There are alternatives that switch AC and higher voltages if that is what you need.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2016 11:54 by andypugh.

More
15 Jun 2016 12:17 #76063 by DesignBC
Thank you all very much for the help. I think I have all I need to get power to everything now. This is what I need until the board arrives and I start getting into wiring the controls and peripherals. I just had to get over this hurdle before I could even focus on anything else.

If I were to add the physical estop switch on this circuit, which seems logical, would I put the stop before the 7i77, or after it?

More
15 Jun 2016 13:43 #76073 by andypugh

If I were to add the physical estop switch on this circuit, which seems logical, would I put the stop before the 7i77, or after it?

If you put the physical switch between the 7i77 ENA- and Gnd then you can link from ENA+ at the 7i77 to a GPIO so that LinuxCNC can know that the e-stop has been activated.
You might need a protection diode across the relay if you do this, to protect the 7i77 input pin. I would take advice from PCW on the matter.
It is best is LinuxCNC enters e-stop when the switch is pressed, and this is one way to assure that.

What is the coil current of the relay being switched? The ENA outputs are rated 30mA.

More
29 Jun 2016 14:13 #76790 by DesignBC
Thank you for the info. I am going to check the current on that circuit and I will get back to you. Work picked up and I havent had any time to tinker with it.

More
29 Aug 2016 14:41 #79660 by DesignBC
Hey all, sorry about the delay, I have been too busy at the shop to devote time to this project, but I am back at it.
First thing is first, in an effort to not turn my 7i77 into a smoke bomb, could anyone advise on my first step. I need top get power to my machine through a system of relays as I stated before, this is the spec for the relay that I will be powering. I am planning on using the drive enable output to do so by using the card to complete the ground circuit. Is this good practice? The chart seems to state 21.6 mA as the coil current, but this is not my area of expertise. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, let me know if you need any other info to get a better picture of what I am doing. This was sort of answered before, but I feel better showing the relay and getting some affirmation. Thank you.

www.alliedelec.com/omron-automation-g2r-1-sd-dc24-s-/70178582/

More
29 Aug 2016 16:20 - 29 Aug 2016 16:20 #79670 by PCW
The servo drives enable inputs should be wired to the 7I77s enable pins (as suggested above) A relay is not needed

Estop and any primary power switching must be implemented so it does
not depend on software to force a Estop (and remove primary drive power)
Last edit: 29 Aug 2016 16:20 by PCW.

More
29 Aug 2016 17:16 #79676 by DesignBC
This relay is used to enable all power to the entire machine. This kicks the 24v relay that kicks the 220 magnetic switches to all servos and amps.

More
29 Aug 2016 18:08 #79679 by tommylight
On the last retrofit i did, i have software limits, hardware limits that will stop the machine and Linuxcnc alerts for X- X+ Y- Y+, but i also have extreme limits in hardware , if any of those before fail, this will cut the power to everything.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds