retrofit Bridgeport Prototrak Plus

More
18 Jul 2016 18:58 #77606 by Todd Zuercher
You would still need both the 5i25 and the 7i77. (the 7i77 for the encoder interface and the analog interface to control the servos.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2016 19:23 #77610 by Todd Zuercher
As far as connecting to the old cabinet, what I was thinking was to plug in a parallel port cable, cut the other end off and wire those wires directly to the 7i77 card.

More
19 Jul 2016 12:31 #77638 by new2linux
Todd, So the cut end of parallel port cable will go to the TB3 & TB5 locations (still inside case) and cut new slot to mount 7i77 card as to allow P1 to connect to parallel port cable to 5i25 card. Is this what you were thinking? Just trying to understand the advantage of one over the other.

many thanks

More
19 Jul 2016 13:30 #77640 by Todd Zuercher
Where are you mounting your PC (or motherboard/5i25)?
I'd consider keeping the 7i77 with or inside that place. You can even mount a 7i77 inside a larger PC case with the mb and 5i25, and connect it to the 5i25 using the internal header and a ribbon cable.

But it is all just a matter of personal preference, put it where YOU want it. (I can't see the big picture of what you have planned or the space you have to work with.)

More
19 Jul 2016 14:27 #77647 by new2linux
In the past I had a cart with a PC on it with keyboard, mouse and monitor that rolled to the machine when needed, now I should find a way to mount those items and leave all connected as unit. So this makes me think the monitor will replace the prototrak DRO box, because the DRO will be available with the new system, just need keyboard and mouse spot. This will require some thought of how to make it operator/user friendly. The one thing that is a factor is the power supply case is not overly large nor is the PC case, so makes me think the fewer components maybe the best, so I may remove the old prototrak card just to free up space, but need to see how the repair works out, have not head much and 2 weeks is getting near.

Many thanks, Todd!

More
24 Jul 2016 17:02 #77913 by new2linux
The repair guy called yesterday, described that he had installed several parts that were "open" or required replacement, on one of the cards (there are 2 cards that are identical, he claims that only one saw the power serge) and when re powered the same components failed. As stated one card is OK, is it fair to suggest if the group of components in question can be compared to something that is OK, how difficult, given you have the correct equipment to test with, to get this figured out. I wondering if this guy is the correct person.

The transformer that was improperly connected he believes the marking on the transformer represents impedance on those pins.

many thanks!

More
24 Jul 2016 17:55 #77916 by andypugh

The repair guy called yesterday, described that he had installed several parts that were "open" or required replacement, on one of the cards (there are 2 cards that are identical, he claims that only one saw the power serge) and when re powered the same components failed.

Was this when he powered it up to test, or when you powered it up?

More
24 Jul 2016 17:59 #77917 by new2linux
At his place, after his diagnostic over view to determine what has failed.

many thanks!

More
24 Jul 2016 18:13 #77919 by andypugh
So, is he trying again?

I don't suppose the amps turn up on eBay at all?

More
24 Jul 2016 18:25 - 24 Jul 2016 18:28 #77920 by new2linux
Andy, many thanks, he had ordered several parts and planed on replacing again, and doing more diagnose work. The ebay price is the same as rebuild unit. If I were to replace all the parts on the PCB (with the understanding, the correct part is required) would this work, is this a possibility? My fear that this guy does not have the background to fix it, how or what are the most important questions to seek out before leaving your stuff with someone? He really wanted a wiring diagram.

many thanks
Last edit: 24 Jul 2016 18:28 by new2linux.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds