Prototrak Plus Retrofit with Mesa 7i77 & 5i25 cards

More
04 Mar 2017 20:21 #89004 by new2linux
Many thanks Todd! Could not find anybody to fix or repair, I purchased "used as where is" and it was high $ enough, from ebay. If you thought the components you describe would work with my servo and power supply I would give it a try.

many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2017 03:29 #89018 by lakeweb
Absolutely, if your amp is fried, Todd's suggestion is the way to go. I found a few sales of your amp, all were in the $1000 range. And read Todd's list, these things are undocumented. The second link won't work for you, it was for a brushless motor. You want a brushed servo driver. Those Advanced amps are a dime a dozen used. So if you goof one up, it won't cost you like that Prototrak.

If you decide to dump the Prototrak, you will get help here with the power supply you need. Chinese power supplies run less than ten cents a watt. I used them to get a friend's off grid charging going. Link to Off Grid Charging

You won't have to modify the supplies, This was a special case for battery charging. It is that the price point is so attractive.

And everything will be clearly documented. You will get explicit help on how to hook these things up.

Best, Dan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

More
05 Mar 2017 04:27 #89020 by Todd Zuercher

The second link won't work for you, it was for a brushless motor.

Although it is a bldc amp, it can still be used with a single phase brushed motor. You just only connect the A and B phase of the drive to the motor, and disable the comutation. This drive has the advantage of being able to use the digital incremental encoder feedback for the velocity feed back, so you don't need to have a tachometer to close the velocity loop in the drive.

More
05 Mar 2017 13:05 - 05 Mar 2017 19:41 #89039 by new2linux
Many, many thanks to Dan & Todd for a much better day with this great news!! It is hard to express my gratitude to you gentlemen! For those like myself that are "electronics challenged" (some of you others, may not use that description) as you followed along it can get ugly quick, sometimes w/o visible signs as to what is goofed up, so self repair is usually not an option. I plan to order at least 2 maybe 3, (need 1 for each axes).

Dan, I read the "off grid charging" looks very cool to me, I also can appreciate the life style, and think that part is pretty cool too.

Many thanks for all the help!

Edit: ordered today will be here later this week ,I hope. Thanks again!
Last edit: 05 Mar 2017 19:41 by new2linux. Reason: update

More
05 Mar 2017 16:08 #89042 by lakeweb
Hi Todd,
Thanks. I had no idea you could shut off the commutation. And good point about the feed back. He does have digital if I recall the old thread correctly.

Best, Dan.

More
09 Mar 2017 02:17 #89233 by new2linux
I have received the AMC (Advanced Motion Control) servo amplifier today, they look "like new". Reading parts of the manual leads from the large DC transformer (power supply) will go to each amp. These leads should be separate to each drive, short, heavy and twisted to reduce inductance.
Will I need to mount the capacitor (the big blue one) with its PSB, and go from there to the amps? Should the fan be mounted in the encloser like the ptrak?
The + REF IN & -REF IN (pin 4 and 5) are the leads from DRV O & DRV 1. This are the only leads (control low 1.5v) that will be used, is this correct?
The power supply leads connect to the green terminal block at the bottom, the heavy twisted ones. Is there something else I should be thinking about getting organized?

Many thanks to all who have given support!

Attachments:

More
09 Mar 2017 02:39 #89236 by andypugh
Can you explain what you mean by DRV0 ? On which board is that?

I would rather expect +REF IN and -REF IN to connect to only one 7i77 output.

Do you have tachometers on your motors? I can't remember (I struggle to separate all the threads here in my head)

More
09 Mar 2017 12:11 #89246 by new2linux
andypugh, thank you! I should clarify, DRV 0 & DRV 1 ( TB5 ) on 7i77, the question about the tachometers, I have never seen or come across any reference to that.

forum.linuxcnc.org/media/kunena/attachme...21712/IMG_0816_1.JPG

If you look to the center and see the blue and white leads (with the small wire tie) attach to a PCB (printed circuit board) attached to the top of the large blue capacitor (this is a unit); the other end of these leads go to a square devise (a rectifier. I think) and then to the transformer. All of this needs to be used as an assembly, just checking. And the brown and white leads are the leads to the respective new (AMC) amplifier on the (HIGH VOLTAGE 5) & (POWER GND 4) position. The leads going to the drives are the (-motor 1) & (+motor 2) the green block at bottom. Just trying to understand all that needs to be attached.

Many, many thanks to all!!

More
09 Mar 2017 12:37 #89247 by andypugh
Tachometers, if fitted, would be mounted on the motors.

More
09 Mar 2017 13:14 #89251 by new2linux
andypugh, thanks for your help!! I see encoders only, try this link.

forum.linuxcnc.org/media/kunena/attachme...21712/IMG_0775_1.JPG

shows inside the cover of encoder.

thanks you!

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds