Prototrak Plus Retrofit with Mesa 7i77 & 5i25 cards

More
12 May 2017 13:06 #93081 by new2linux
Many, many thanks, andypugh & Todd for all of your spot on advise!

I have attached the most recent .ini and .hal just to keep all in one spot. The way I edited the .ini file was to click on the line, arrow to location and inserted a "-" in front of the following lines" ENCODER_SCALE = -27500" "OUTPUT_SCALE = -10" for both axes. After doing this it did not change the direction of machine cutting the sample, still mirror image. Did I use the correct method to edit, I save then closed. The only other thing that I see is in andypugh's

"" You will need to change the sign of the encoder scale and the analogue output scale. Swapping just one will cause a runaway. ""

What I edited was "OUTPUT_SCALE", but felt confidant that this is the "analogue output scale"

Thanks!!

#********************
# Axis X
#********************
[AXIS_0]
TYPE = LINEAR
HOME = 0.0
FERROR = 0.5
MIN_FERROR = 0.05
MAX_VELOCITY = 2.0
MAX_ACCELERATION = 10.0
P = 3615
I = 0
D = 65.4
FF0 = 0
FF1 = 67.25
FF2 = 0.6545
BIAS = 0
DEADBAND = 3e-05
MAX_OUTPUT = 0
ENCODER_SCALE = -27500
OUTPUT_SCALE = -10
OUTPUT_MIN_LIMIT = -10
OUTPUT_MAX_LIMIT = 10
MIN_LIMIT = -11.0
MAX_LIMIT = 11.0
HOME_OFFSET = 0.0

#********************
# Axis Y
#********************
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2017 13:19 - 12 May 2017 13:23 #93082 by Todd Zuercher
Changing only one axis will mirror image, the part. Changing both axis will just turn the part 180 degrees.

If nothing happened, did you close and restart Linuxcnc after editing the ini? Changes to the ini file do not affect an already running Linuxcnc. (The ini file is only read when starting.)
Last edit: 12 May 2017 13:23 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

More
12 May 2017 13:41 #93084 by new2linux
many many thanks!!

Just changed "x" to "+" in the ini file, the cut is correct to be readable, as it cuts, facing the machine it is in correct orientation to be read. I don't think this correct yet, plan to change "x" back to "-" & "y" to "+".

If I were to put myself in the position of the machine, see the part as like you were the column of the mill looking toward the "y" axes ball screw knob, so positive "x" is when the table moves to the left, positive "y" is when the table moves away from you.

many thanks

More
12 May 2017 13:58 #93085 by Todd Zuercher
Yeah, that would be backwards. Normally an X positive move would be table moving to the right (tool moving left on the part) and a Y positive move would be the table moving towards you. But it is your machine configure it the way you like. On a moving table machine the actual movements are opposite of the arrows on the keyboard, because they represent the movement of the tool (which isn't actually moving) relative to the table, not the movement of table. Imagine if you were watching the machine milling though a camera rigidly mounted to the table instead of standing beside it.

More
12 May 2017 14:15 - 12 May 2017 16:18 #93087 by new2linux
Thanks!! Todd

I have got it, just as you say:

" Imagine if you were watching the machine milling though a camera rigidly mounted to the table instead of standing beside it. "

That is the best way to describe, many thanks for your help, I am very grateful to you and so many, many others for all the guidance.

Now what is it I need is to pause, for tool height change? Is this a "g" code edit, or a post processor issue, or something more?

many thanks!

Edit: If I have read correctly the work around is to put "auto tool change in" in the g code or break code up in to smaller sections that allow for the need to raise "Z" axes at each (as in the sample, each letter of the logo) section of letters that make the whole logo.
Last edit: 12 May 2017 16:18 by new2linux.

More
12 May 2017 23:54 #93117 by new2linux
I would like to express my profound thanks to the following: andypugh, Todd Zuercher, lakeweb, PCW, tommylight, and bevins, for all the great help, always thoughtful, to the point, completely and totally invaluable!! There were several times I did not think this project would work out, and just so glad you guys hung in there with me. I have learned a great deal, and have much more to learn.

I am very grateful to each of you for your help! I am also very thankful for this forum, and all who support it.
Many, many thanks!

More
13 May 2017 02:19 #93119 by Todd Zuercher

Thanks!! Todd

I have got it, just as you say:

" Imagine if you were watching the machine milling though a camera rigidly mounted to the table instead of standing beside it. "

That is the best way to describe, many thanks for your help, I am very grateful to you and so many, many others for all the guidance.

Now what is it I need is to pause, for tool height change? Is this a "g" code edit, or a post processor issue, or something more?

many thanks!

Edit: If I have read correctly the work around is to put "auto tool change in" in the g code or break code up in to smaller sections that allow for the need to raise "Z" axes at each (as in the sample, each letter of the logo) section of letters that make the whole logo.

I thought I typed a reply to this before, but I must not have clicked submit.

I think this would technically be more of a CAM / postprocessor problem, But it should be possible to create a script that could automatically insert an M0 code to pause the machine where ever there is a change in Z depth.

I don't think the manual tool change idea is the answer, because it would only stop where tool changes are commanded (not Z depth changes).

I think most of your g-code files are going to need to be optimized specifically for your manual Z application.

Your machine has a DRO feed back for the Z axis? And you have an extra amp? Then all you need is an appropriately sized DC motor and a way to connect it to the Z screw and then you'd have true 3-d capability.

More
13 May 2017 10:25 #93131 by new2linux
Thank you Todd!

The DRO is the Prototrak type that has a (steel) wheel, running against steel, that turns an encoder, just not now. I will start to keep an eye for the correct price or OEM so it bolts on. There are the "fixed height or set screw" collet issues, so just buy the most popular sizes 1st is the work around. I have a copy of (hopefully, as not to be shamed out) of Bobcad v 23, I used with the Prototrak, is there a more friendly or preferred CAM, I have good model/data input from autocad or solidworks, just need to automate this part a bit.

Many thanks!

More
13 May 2017 12:04 #93136 by Todd Zuercher
CAM is a sticky subject, that I am far from being an expert on. But for a good low cost option (free) I've heard a lot of positive info about Fusion 360.

More
04 Jan 2020 18:12 #154005 by MarkD2
new2linux

Did you ever get the machine running on linuxcnc? If so can you share the connection diagram for the controller to the 7i77.
Thank you

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds