Retrofitting a 1986 Maho MH400E

More
21 Oct 2017 06:25 - 24 Oct 2017 07:16 #100606 by RotarySMP

On the cables is this transparent thermo shrinking?

Yes it is. Unfortunately I got the wrong type of Brother P-Touch label maker, and the temp that the label goes black is about 5° above the temp that the heatshrink shrinks. Fine line between not shrunk enough, and label turning black. The Brother TZ type tape is more heat resistant, but doesn't work in my machine.
Mark
Last edit: 24 Oct 2017 07:16 by RotarySMP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2017 18:38 #100617 by cgroth
Mark,
I had to keep the wires of my lathe in order so I simply printed the excel cross referenz on plain paper and cut small strips for each cable. Then I cut transparent shrinking about 5 mm longer than the paper strip, pushed the paper in and thereafter the wire. Seems a bit finger breaking at the beginning but after a few cables you will become incredibly fast. And it works readable down to 0,5 mm2. Christian

More
21 Oct 2017 20:28 - 21 Oct 2017 20:35 #100618 by RotarySMP
I thought I was being clever getting the label machine, until I worked out it is a thermoprinter. Your way is a much better idea.

What lathe do you have? I have a Boley 4LV, which is pretty worn.
madmodder.net/index.php/topic,7884.50.html

I would love to get a Schaublin 125CNC and retrofit it. That would be a perfect match for the Maho.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2017 20:35 by RotarySMP.

More
23 Oct 2017 20:18 #100694 by cgroth
I have got a Weiler UD24CNC. It was comparatably cheap and came in excellent mechanical condition, even the wiring was original. Anyhow I have never been that wrong in troubleshouting. When I bought it, I was told that the tool changer does not work correctly, maybe "some configuration" is missing. I thought that can't be difficult, because the Bosch control doesn't need any special config for the tooling. When I powered it up, no axis could be moved and random errors came up and the trouble began. To cut a long story short: I finally ripped out the power supply and several relais, the entire signal wiring and so on to finally - by change - find out, that the PLC PCB had some bad soldering. It was bad luck on one hand but now I know a lot more about Bosch CC200. I will send you some pictures during the week.

Christian

More
24 Oct 2017 07:14 - 24 Oct 2017 09:15 #100727 by RotarySMP
That looks like quite a beast of a lathe. An 8000rpm spindle is rather impressive.

Got nothing done on the MAHO although I took a 4 day weekend.

Next weekend will also be four days as Thursday is the national holiday of Austria, and I took friday off, but I although the new windows are in, and sealed, I still have a fair bit of finishing work which will keep me away from the MAHO.
Mark
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Oct 2017 09:15 by RotarySMP.

More
24 Oct 2017 08:30 #100735 by andypugh

I have got a Weiler UD24CNC

At the LinuxCNC-fest at CamFlight in Stuttgart this summer there was a Weiler CNC lathe converted to LinuxCNC. I made a few changes to the carousel HAL component (pushed to the main repository) to allow it to handle the Weiler toolchanger.

Is this the same lathe, or a different one? If it is a different one then there is a fully-working LinuxCNC config out there that might be helpful.

If you are not using the master (development / 2.8) branch of LinuxCNC then you can update the carousel component on your installation to the new version (adds parity and strobe pins, which the Weiler needs) by downloading this file
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...onents/carousel.comp
(press the "raw" button then save-as) and using halcompile to install it onto your system.

More
25 Oct 2017 20:43 #100813 by cgroth
Andy,

that ist what the lathe looks like and what I did for cable marking. Sorry for the bad quality. I have to get started with LinuxCNC which means primarily to set up a project and get some hardware. I think the MH 300C is a good choice, I am facing the same problems as Mark.
Attachments:

More
25 Oct 2017 21:01 - 25 Oct 2017 21:08 #100817 by cgroth
Mark,
here are some pictures of the MH 300C. I switched it on today but the startup sequence does not work. The hydraulic pump runs but when I try to acknowledge the interlock it does not catch. Anyhow the 432 seems to work. As you can see on the picture it has the Philips gauges and not the Heidenhains as yours. And it has variable speed dc motor for the spindle drive as wells as a shifting gear. I have got to figure out how that works in combination.
I found the correct programming instructions and schematics. So just in case someone needs these I can make a pdf.

Christian
Last edit: 25 Oct 2017 21:08 by cgroth.

More
27 Oct 2017 06:52 #100874 by RotarySMP
Hi Christian,
Have you cleaned this, or is it also a nearly unused machine? What is the condition of the ways?
What year is the MH300C? With the screw in fuses, it would appear to be an earlier model than my 1986 400E. The relay board also looks completely different. Did Maho keep consistant component and terminal numbering over the years, or is is completely different?
For example, are the single phase component like the Phillips controller and monitor also run off terminals 150/151? Is the latching "CNC ready" ready also designated 19K1, and the main E-Stop relays 7K1, 7K2, 7K3 on your machine? If it is significantly different between the MH300C, and the MHx00E series machines, it might help future MH300C retrofitters if you start a specific thread, so all the information stays collected.

Have you read Müllernick's MH700C retrofit thread on the CNCecke.de.
www.cncecke.de/forum/showthread.php?4346...ll-nach-Puchschlagen
He put a fair bit of effort into decoding the Phillips glass scales, but they are not outputting a typical 11µA sin wave signal as the Heidenhain do. He gave up on the Phillips, and installed some modern scales with TTL output.

Do you also have the 18 speed gearbox? Please post a picture of the spindles DC drive.
Mark

More
27 Oct 2017 10:16 #100878 by RotarySMP
If it wont latch on, check the oil level of the the way lubrication system. Thomas from the CNC Ecke reported that his MAHO low level switch activates already at about half tank. If the switch activates, then the system wont latch on.
Mark

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds