axial / radial cut depth calculator

More
08 Nov 2010 03:26 #5151 by justice
Newbie question: How do I find optimal cut depths? Machinery's Handbook says nothing. Google says everything, but nothing to the point. I've spent half the day reading on this, and don't seem any closer to an answer.

In this particular case, I find myself needing to cut a 5mm deep slot in 6061 aluminum with a 2mm endmill. It seems intuitively as though the best thing for tool wear is to use the largest possible axial depth, and choosing the slowest feed rate that will keep my IPR above 0.001".

Of course, I'd like to know the answer for radial depths as well. Is there a calculator that does this? A chart somewhere that I should know about?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2010 12:41 #5160 by BigJohnT
I like to use this calculator when I don't have mine handy

www.custompartnet.com/calculator/milling-speed-and-feed

As for speeds and feeds and DOC your end mill, machine, and coolant determine the best speeds and feeds.

I use Lakeshore Carbide end mills for most things

Speeds and feeds chart
www.lakeshorecarbide.com/lakeshorevariab...feedforaluminum.aspx

The smaller in diameter the less DOC you can take due to flexing (breaking) of the end mill. A 0.079" diameter end mill is very very small. I would start with a 0.040" deep cut if you have enough RPM to get the SFM up and flood coolant to remove the chips.

In a nutshell all the speeds and feeds are just a starting point as a lot depends on your machine. The manufacturer of the end mills you use should have some starting speeds and feeds and DOC.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: justice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds