cutting a large part

More
15 May 2011 20:34 #9833 by jhtitan
cutting a large part was created by jhtitan
ok so I want to cut a new set bed parts for my CNC. Problem is the bed is larger than my cut area. 58"x60" with a cut area of 48"x48"

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for making the cuts as 2 separate programs and how would be the best way to index the parts to ensure that everything stays lined up when I move the sheet for the second set of cuts.

there are other ways I could get these parts cut but I would prefer to do it all here on my machine instead of taking everything to a Dads wood shop and cutting everything on his table saw.

any suggestions would be appreciated. what I have drawn up so far is I took the parts and separated them into 2 sets of 30"x48" parts. I thin made a set of .25" holes at 0,0 and 30,0. My though was that once I was done with the first set I could line up the 30,0 hole at 0,0 for the second set of cuts. anyone have a better idea or any suggestions on making sure everything stays lined up in the process?

Thanks
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2011 22:40 #9836 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:cutting a large part
That's pretty much how I do it have a set of alignment holes that can be reached with both setups to align the material... we call them machining holes.

John

More
16 May 2011 00:28 #9838 by jhtitan
Replied by jhtitan on topic Re:cutting a large part
so would I want the holes in my mill table so I can add pins to align the material, or would I just use the bit for alignment? I was thinking some pins into the table would be a much better option.

Thanks
Jon

More
16 May 2011 08:12 #9840 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Re:cutting a large part
fit 3 pins in an L configuration this will locate the part in both x & y directions unless you have a guide edge or fixed edge points then of course one pin would do

on my table i fitted 2" blocks at 3 places underneath the table top and drilled through the table and into the blocks to just short of breaking through , with the router using a gcode program to suit , so the measurments were correct
using a 1/2" cutter , then fitted some 1/2" dowel pins , their easy to remove when not needed , and using the acad drawing file for the pin locations gives me a template

More
16 May 2011 21:29 #9855 by piasdom
Replied by piasdom on topic Re:cutting a large part
cncbasher(and BigJohnT) is right., depends on what you're doing. you need an edge/pins that will always
be constant to the machine head.sometime i make 15-20 parts with dowel pins(3), but they(pins) have to
not move when you move the part.i run one file on all the parts then start again with another file. a
s long as i align with the pins,never missed a beat. i also have jigs for smaller parts. and
in the vise i just use stops.

More
17 May 2011 00:48 #9856 by jhtitan
Replied by jhtitan on topic Re:cutting a large part
I have a guide rail along my X axis for squaring up my material. however I have had issues with trying to re-align an axis or trying to flip a part for milling on both sides. I like the pin idea and should be able to incorporate that into my mill. Thanks for all the help hopefully this will work out perfect and I will have a much better set up for my mill bed once its all said and done.

Jon

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds