× Forum Header

zenbot 4848 stepconf help

More
10 Apr 2014 07:37 #45776 by mspgs2
I just got a zenbot 4848. It uses 2 motors for the Y axis. When i configure stepconf for XYZ and set the A axis parallel port pins to Y it doesn't move the A axis motor (zenbot's labeling.. its a 2nd Y axis). If i setup a XYZA config the motor does work but now LinuxCNC thinks its an independent axis and doesn't move in sync with the other Y axis.

Nothing I've found seems to work.
Is step conf not able to work with this well?
Do i have to hack the config file?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2014 17:30 #45784 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic zenbot 4848 stepconf help
stepconf is really just a get you started application and cannot really cover all permutations , in this particular instance your better off
hand coding a file and duplicating the axis required .
The following user(s) said Thank You: mspgs2

More
10 Apr 2014 18:45 #45787 by mspgs2
Replied by mspgs2 on topic zenbot 4848 stepconf help
thanks.

I managed to find a post from sometime back where someone had a similar issue with their X axis on two motors but it seemed to work in linuxcnc after some hacking. I also found some talk about setting up the gantry stuff. While that kinda works it seems to not be controlling the two motors in sync and its causing lock ups. Fun times.

More
16 May 2016 17:25 #74756 by johnominoor
I was hoping that you could point me to or tell me what your solution was for this. I'm trying to set up a zenbot 4848 with linuxcnc and am running in to the same problem.

We received a donated zenbot 4848 along with all the software but someone "upgraded" the O/S on the computer to 64-bit win7 and we have little hope of going back to the 32-bit version (FYI there is no parallel support for Win7-64 or any other 64 bit windows). Linuxcnc worked like a champ on all fronts for the other cnc hardware we are using, but this slaving of Y and A axis is a pain.

Thanks

More
16 May 2016 21:47 #74782 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic zenbot 4848 stepconf help
It's been quite a while since the post that you replied to. Setting Up a gantry is now a little easier, in that Stepconf knows of at least one way to do it.

Gantry config will always be a little more difficult than a conventional machine because there is more than one way to do it, and different ways are better for some people than others.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds