× Forum Header

Trying to optimize base period, etc.

More
04 Mar 2016 16:44 #71046 by nerdsite
Ignore it unless it takes your arm off :)

Actually I found that my motor-ballscrew ratios were wrong and it gave me 2x leeway. I ran things at 4 usteps and it seems to work. The base time is 100,000. Does that seem reasonable? Steps are 8000 steps/in using a conservative 5k/5k/10k/10k for the step timings. Should be adequate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2016 17:45 #71053 by andypugh

base time is 100,000. Does that seem reasonable?

That seems long to me.
There is some advantage in having a shorter base period even if you don't need the step rate, because the step-rate "granularity" is reduced.

More
04 Mar 2016 18:00 #71054 by PCW
I agree, you should run the base thread as fast as you can without getting real time errors.

Running it slower than necessary just increases the likelihood of stalls caused by sub-harmonics
exciting stepper resonances at unfavourable speeds

More
04 Mar 2016 18:09 #71056 by nerdsite
That's what stepconf creates. Can I manually change this in the ini file?

More
04 Mar 2016 18:35 #71057 by PCW
Yes, you can just edit the number in the .ini file

More
08 Mar 2016 04:22 #71203 by nerdsite
This still didn't solve the problem, especially when I maximized the video screen. I then took out the external video card and ran it w/ the on-board video and viola! it work like it should (except it didn't have great latency). At least I didn't get any more realtime delays and was on right path.

Changing the video driver to 'vesa' w/ the external video card fixed that one. Latency was slightly worse then the native drivers, but not that bad. Maybe there's a better graphics card out there (PCI-e)

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds