× Forum Header

LinuxCNC V2.7 and Sherline Mill - SOLVED

More
03 Jan 2016 00:06 - 05 Jan 2016 17:56 #67735 by HDVideo
I've been running LinuxCNC V2.4.6 on my Sherline mill with Sherline controller for a couple of years now and recently heard of the new 2.7 version of LinuxCNC. Thought I'd give it a try running off the Live CD, but can't get any steppers to move. Just to have a base for comparison, I used Stepper Config on V2.4.6 to create a new config file using the Sherline presets built in to the program. With that I was able to move all three steppers with the only modification being the address of my parallel port.

I then loaded up version 2.7 from the Live CD and ran Stepper Config using the same Sherline presets, again changing the parallel port address. Everything else was exactly the same as the V2.4.6 configuration, but nothing moves. I could hear a slight tick in the X-Axis motor as the movement test was run and it may have been moving the wheel a tiny bit, but not even enough to see.

Can anyone tell me if the Sherline controller will even run from the CD as opposed to a full installation or if possibly there is something else in the system setup that I've overlooked? The new GUI for Linux is real nice and I read there are quite a few enhancements to the CNC app as well, so I'd like to use it if I can get it to work.

Thanks
Ed
Last edit: 05 Jan 2016 17:56 by HDVideo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2016 00:11 #67736 by andypugh
The config for 2.4.6 should work as-is with 2.7, no need to go through the pain of re-running stepconf.

There are some minor config changes:

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.6/html/common/Updating_LinuxCNC.html
Then
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-s...dating-linuxcnc.html

Note that you only need to pay attention to the config changes on those pages, not the install instructions.

More
03 Jan 2016 01:18 #67737 by HDVideo
Thanks for the reply. Since I'm running a version older than 2.6, and would need to first upgrade to that, I was thinking I'd just do a fresh install once I was sure it would work with my controller.

Reading the install docs a little closer, it looks like my problem is that it can't really run a machine from Live CD, I'll need to do the install to see if it works. The install docs even said you can't create a config file, but it did do that and created an icon on the desktop to start using that configuration.

This box is used only as a machine controller so I'll probably just throw in an old hard drive and load 2.7 to it, saving the original dual boot drive in case there are problems.

Thanks again,
Ed

More
05 Jan 2016 17:55 #67934 by HDVideo
Just a quick update and to mark this thread SOLVED.

I decided to give it another try and this time noticed that when running stepconfig, I failed to click a button (reset I think) after selecting the Sherline pin configuration. Once that was done, all worked as expected, even when running from LiveCD.

I assumed it would be an operator error of some sort, just didn't think it would be such an easy fix.

Regards,
Ed

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds