× Forum Header

Problems with Stepconfig setup

More
21 Jun 2016 22:38 #76373 by parishwolfe
I have a Taig machine with a geckodrive 540. The computer I'm using has a pci card parallel port. Using stepconfig, I can not see the set up for a parallel port, only a fpga mesa card. Im thinking it is because I have a china made pci card parallel port. I've noticed in windows that it is a pci to usb 2 to parallel port type card. I have no idea if it supports epp. Im pretty new to machining and don't know what I'm doing. I have ordered a new pcie parallel port card from newegg a startech.com brand card thinking that is the problem.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this is plausibly the problem for no motion and no launch of the machine control gui?
There are no fault lights on the controller and when I turn it on the motors start humming like they want to go but cant because they have no data to send them anywhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2016 22:48 #76374 by andypugh
It sounds like you are running "PnCCOnf" rather than "StepConf".

More
22 Jun 2016 01:30 #76382 by parishwolfe
Negative. It is Stepconfig. it says it in the link on the applications menu and on the title bar "stepper configuration wizard." If you have a possible remedy I'm open to hear it though.

More
22 Jun 2016 02:35 #76385 by Todd Zuercher
Stepconfig has no knowlege of Mesa hardware. If your screen says anything about Mesa, you are in Pncconf not Stepconf.
(Pncconf is a configuration wizzard for Mesa hardware.)

More
22 Jun 2016 02:56 - 22 Jun 2016 03:00 #76388 by parishwolfe
I see "parport" and no "parallel port." I was under the impression that a parport was associated with mesa. Like I said before, I am 100% in stepconfig. However, as you can see from the picture, there is no "parallel port" dropdown like in the 2nd picture I pulled from a tutorial here.

Im thinking it is because I have a cheap paralell port pci card and its replacement is in the mail.
Could there be another explanation though?

Looking back on that second picture, it says parport there too... I'm new to machining and brand new to linux.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jun 2016 03:00 by parishwolfe.

More
22 Jun 2016 04:14 #76393 by Todd Zuercher
The first thing you need to do is figure out the addresses for your parallel port(s).

At the command prompt type
lspci -v
and look for an entry that resembles your card. Because your card is a multifuction card it will have several addresses associated with it. You may have to trial and error them to find the right one(s) for the parallel port(s).
The following user(s) said Thank You: parishwolfe

More
22 Jun 2016 08:05 #76401 by andypugh

I see "parport" and no "parallel port." I was under the impression that a parport was associated with mesa.

No. "Parport" is just a contraction of "Parallel Port". The Mesa cards are sometimes called "Superport

If it changed from "Parallel Port" to "Parport" in the configuation tool then that was probably to save screen space and nothing more.

More
23 Jun 2016 00:07 #76468 by parishwolfe
Thanks for the -v on that lspci command. I got it working thank you so much

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds