× Forum Header

Acceleration setting - how much margin?

More
18 Jul 2016 14:16 #77593 by JimS
I recently set up my stepconf parameters with directions I found on the linuxcnc site - basically set velocity after testing, then find max acceleration and set to slightly lower than max. I was conservative and reduced both more than recommended (as I recall). Then I mounted a large flat part that was about 60 - 70% of the mass of the Y axis table. When running a test program the steppers couldn't keep up. It appears the recommended 10% reduction in acceleration is not really enough considering the test is done without anything on the table and large work pieces will substantially reduce the acceleration that can be achieved. I will be doing more testing but this seems like it would be a common issue. Would like to get some feedback on this from others with more experience...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2016 19:05 #77607 by tommylight
Do a "worst case scenario" configuration, in your case as i understood the moving table mill/router, you have to actually load the max weight that your machine might see during use, plus the forces used during cutting, so you have to load the table and push or pull on the opposite direction while tuning. You can use a small hanging scale for weight measuring ( i use a small one for cnc machines that do no cutting, it can measure up to 35 kg, for machines that have to cut i just test while cutting a a higher feed rate ), it is handy for having some idea of what are the forces exerted on the machine.
After tuning to worst case scenario, you can move back 10% and be fairly certain that you will not have any issues during normal use.
You can do all the possible calculations in the world, and it will all come back to that, namely practice, not theory. To many moving parts and forces and gravity and inertia and............so a bit of trial and error is all it takes.
Regards,
Tom
B.TH.W.
on bigger machines i climb on the gantry, i push against them or pull them as hard as i can to have a sense of how much force it takes to stall them or make them loose steps. Sometimes it gets .........painful !!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
18 Jul 2016 20:23 #77615 by JimS
After encountering this issue it is obvious that the testing needs to be done with maximum mass on the table or go with a substantially bigger reduction than 10% or some combination of both. But I haven't see this mentioned in any of the stepconf setup instructions I have seen. For example, section 7.1 here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/stepconf.html
makes no mention of load on the table.

Adding cutting load will be difficult, mainly because I don't know how much it is. And since cutting should take place at slower speeds than the max settings of stepconf I am wondering if it really needs to be added. This is a small machine with a 1/4" spindle but I do plan to be doing light cuts in steel with it.

More
20 Jul 2016 09:03 #77686 by andypugh
fswizard will calculate tool forces. Put in your worst-case material and the biggest tool and see what the numbers are.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds