× Forum Header

Mach3 conf import fails

More
20 Oct 2016 10:06 #81886 by Nibbler
Hello,

I just tried to import a Mach3 Mill conf with the stepconf Wizard
but it turns out some python errors. I am not to familar with python but it looks like the parsing fails ?
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/stepconf/pages.py", line 68, in on_button_fwd_clicked
    if not self['%s_finish'%cur_name]():
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/stepconf/pages.py", line 188, in start_finish
    from stepconf import import_mach
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/stepconf/import_mach.py", line 52, in <module>
    dom = parseString(data)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/xml/dom/minidom.py", line 1930, in parseString
    return expatbuilder.parseString(string)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 940, in parseString
    return builder.parseString(string)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 223, in parseString
    parser.Parse(string, True)
ExpatError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 39952

What can I do to fix this ? Of course I tried a manual configuration though without success so I thought I´d give the working Mach3 config a try.

The driver board is a 3-axis TB 6550 (blue type) as in the attached manual, some of you probably already know it.

The Y axis is belt driven 1:1.
The X axis spindle is 16x4
Both motors 1.8°
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 19:19 - 20 Oct 2016 19:21 #81899 by Todd Zuercher
What verson of Linuxcnc are you trying to use?
You don't mention the Z, axis doesn't this config have any Z axis? That might have been what caused it to choke.

I ran it through with dummy values for Z. Hopefully it is enough to get you started.
Copy the contents of this zip file to /linuxcnc/configs/ directory in you home folder.

File Attachment:

File Name: nibbler.zip
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Oct 2016 19:21 by Todd Zuercher.

More
20 Oct 2016 20:25 #81902 by Nibbler
Replied by Nibbler on topic Mach3 conf import fails
Thanks I´ll give it a try tomorrow.
I didn´t mention the Z because there actually is no Z. I know I configured it in Mach3 but there is nothig connected to it.
But true, maybe the import stumbled over that.

More
21 Oct 2016 15:26 #81914 by Nibbler
Replied by Nibbler on topic Mach3 conf import fails
Not really working. I saw that it lacks some information like the enabling pins and pport. However I grabbed the motor parameters for the X motor and placed it into my config but it remains the same. The motor is just making some noise like it got not enough power, which is unlikely because it does work with another computer and Mach3. There are so many possible problems that I don´t know where to start. At least there is some communication, otherwise the motor wouldn´t make some noise when doing the axis test. But in my eyes the parameters are correct. I didn´t set any end/stop switch parameters and linux cnc got no seperate setting for the enabling per axis so I just set all the pins as in the mach3 config to enable.
The only thing which I can´t set is the kernel frequency (35000Hz in Mach3).

Too bad the presets for a TB 6560 3 axis are from a different board as it uses different pins.

More
21 Oct 2016 16:03 #81917 by Todd Zuercher
Need some others with Mach3 experience to chime in (know nothing of it.)
Linuxcnc does not have a direct equivalent to the kernel frequency of Mach3, mostly because Linuxcnc is using a realtime kernel. Because of this the actual kernel speed is mostly irrelevant as long as the PC is fast enough to keep up. The closest thing may be how we use latency test scores to determine what minimum step space timings and base thread speeds should be. Did you run the latency test for a while? What were the results?

Even if the motor only seemed to hum, that is something, so you know you may be on the right track. Possible reasons could be, the step timing and/or acceleration is too fast causing the motor to stall or maybe the step and dir pins are reversed (stepping on the dir pin or enable pin.)

Stepconfig makes setting up limit switches and homing about as simple and straight forward as can be, just click on the parallel port input pin to pull down a menu to choose the function (home, limits, combined...).

More
21 Oct 2016 16:11 #81918 by Todd Zuercher

Too bad the presets for a TB 6560 3 axis are from a different board as it uses different pins.

It is all depends on how you have it wired up to your breakout board. There are any number of possibly valid wiring combinations. (I suppose I could do the math and get the exact number possible, but not worth the effort.)

Double check your wiring, make sure each pin goes where you think it should.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds