× Forum Header

Bosch VFD and rs485

More
23 Apr 2017 20:17 #91904 by russkinch
Hi. I would first like to thanks Andy for the help in getting my lathe sub routines done. It works great. My lathe is 99% complete, just left spindle control. That's where I am stumped. This is all very new to me. I have a Bosch EFC3610 VFD thats supports modbus and rs485 input. I have bought a usb to rs485 adaptor but have no idea how to set up my lathe so Linuxcnc controls spindle speed. Its a 0.75hp 3 phase motor. The VFD controls the speed using the VFD panel well, installed and tested it today. The software side has got me stumped. Also, the spindle speed display in axis works (my lathe has a index and phase a). But it only shows speeds up to 115RPM, then got back to 0, even though motor spinning at about 1000rpm. Is it my optocouplers, the way I have set it up, or just me....lol. If anyone can help. I have searched on here but just got even more confused reading peoples very clever electrical terms, way over my head. I am an engineer, machine shop etc - electronics are very very new to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2017 16:14 #92069 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Bosch VFD and rs485
How many counts per rev is your encoder?

Setting up the VFD might be something of a project if there isn't already an existing HAL module for it.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/drivers/mb2hal.html in conjunction with the VFD manual probably has all the information you need.

You might find it easier to use analogue voltage control.

More
26 Apr 2017 08:05 #92122 by russkinch
Replied by russkinch on topic Bosch VFD and rs485
Hi. My encoder plate has 45 holes due to small space available. I have however noticed my BOB does NOT have a pin for 10V control so have ordered another board. Decided to go with analogue control as modbus seems to be unreliable with a usb dongle.

More
26 Apr 2017 08:29 #92124 by andypugh
My lathe spindle is perfectly reliable with a USB dongle, but that is using a VFD which already has a dedicated LinuxCNC driver.

45 holes @ 155rpm is only 116 Hz, so even a software encoder counting in the servo thread would be able to cope. So I am rather puzzled what could be going on there.

Can we see the HAL file?

More
04 May 2017 12:09 #92630 by russkinch
Hi. OK, I can send you a screen shot. Its very strange, it goes up to anout 190rpm then falls back to 0 as I increase the speed. I was wondering if maybe the infra red optocouplers from ebay are CR@P

More
04 May 2017 12:15 #92632 by andypugh
It could well be the optos. Do you have a real oscilloscope to look at their output with?

Alternatively, if your multimeter has a frequency measuring capablity, that might tell you if the problem is in the hardware or the software.

More
04 May 2017 12:27 #92634 by russkinch
OK, Let me see what I can do. Would you know anything about a Mach 3 board? I am trying (in my other post) to get it to control the motor via a VFD. But I am getting no voltage on the 10v and GND pins. It also has a PWM pin. Should there be voltage on this? I am really confused. This is the final chapter on my lathe build and has got me really stumped. The docs says pin1 is PWM, but I need pin1 for amplifier enabled to run my motors, otherwise they just spin one way (using MD430 driver boards from ebay)

More
04 May 2017 13:46 #92640 by andypugh

But I am getting no voltage on the 10v and GND pins.

It is quite likely that those pins expect to be connected to the 10V and GND of the VFD, and that the board is a potentimeter-emulator controlled by PWM.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds