× Forum Header

So I had X,Y and Z working in StepConfig... until I hooked up C41 and DB9. :(

More
25 Apr 2017 23:36 - 25 Apr 2017 23:37 #92110 by fmfchop
I'm getting sick of trying to figure this out.

If I don't have the C41 PWM Spindle board hooked up, and I don't have the DB9 that connects to my spindle and switches at the mill hooked up, X-Y-Z all test OK. The three axis all move as expected.

But when I've hooked up the other two, now when I click "TEST" for X there's a click in my controller box, and the LED for "Relay 2" on the C41 board lights for a split second, and then there's a second click and the LED for "Relay 1" comes on solid and stays on.... and the axis doesn't move at all.

I'm getting pretty discouraged setting this thing up. :( I just want it to work, and at this point, I'm wondering if I should have just left it running Mach 3.

If ANYONE has any idea about C41 boards, PLEASE respond. I just want to get using this mill, otherwise I might as well put it in the corner and use it as a big ol' paper weight.

Here's the assignments, again, for information:

17- UNUSED
GND- UNUSED
16- "DIR", C41
14- "PWM", C41
GND- "GND", C41
(16/14/GND ABOVE TO INPUT ON C41 BOARD)
1- UNUSED
2- "DIR-", X CONT KL-5056D
COM- UNUSED
3- "PUL-", X CONT KL-5056D
4- "DIR-", Y CONT KL-5056D
COM- UNUSED
5- "PUL-", Y CONT KL-5056D
6- "DIR-", Z CONT KL-5056D
COM- UNUSED
7- "PUL-", Z CONT KL-5056D
8- UNUSED
COM- UNUSED
9- UNUSED
10- "BLACK" ON E-STOP
5VOLT- "RED" ON E-STOP
11- "GND", C41
5VOLT- "5 VOLT", C41 (11, 5 VOLT ABOVE TO POWER ON C41 BOARD)
12- "#2 ON DB9 CONNECTOR"- RED ON X LIMIT SWITCH AT MILL
5VOLT- "#5 ON DB9 CONNECTOR"
13- "#3 ON DB9 CONNECTOR"- RED ON Y LIMIT SWITCH AT MILL
5VOLT- "#1 ON DB9 CONNECTOR"- BLACK X/Y/Z ON LIMIT SWITCHES
15- "#4 ON DB9 CONNECTOR"- RED ON Z LIMIT SWITCH AT MILL
5VOLT- "RED", ALL + ON CONT KL-5056D'S
EN- UNUSED
5VOLT- "RED", 5 VOLT A/C POWER
GND- "BLACK", GND A/C POWER
(ABOVE 5 VOLT/GND FROM A/C POWER ADAPTER)

***PIN 6 ON DB9 TO GROUND ON PWM BOARD***(AT THE MILL THIS GOES TO A SMALL TERMINAL IN THE BOTTOM RIGHT OF THE ELECTRICAL BOARD FOR THE MILL. THERE'S A SMALL "F-" NEXT TO THIS TERMINAL?***

***PIN 7 ON DB9 TO NORMALLY OPEN ON RELAY 2 OF PWM***(AT THE MILL THIS GOES TO THE TRANSFORMER INSIDE THE ELECTRICAL BOX ON THE MILL!!)***
Last edit: 25 Apr 2017 23:37 by fmfchop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2017 00:04 #92111 by tommylight
Was this on another thread before the c41 ( whatever that is ) and pwm board?
I am assuming that is an isolation board for the PWM spindle controller.
If i remember correctly, and as i can read here the mill works with Linuxcnc.
Sooo now i see you have pin 1 and pin 17 unused, en is also unused, but i think you have to use one of them for enable or it will not enable the drives, hence no movement. I would suggest you put pin 1 and 17 as "amplifier enable" in stepconf and tty again. Then we can move on to seting the spindle. You have also not assigned pins for relays, they must be configured.
Pictures of boards and wiring would help.

More
26 Apr 2017 00:53 #92115 by fmfchop
So this would be a matter of setting 1 and 17 that way in stepconfig without changing wiring at all?

I should have updated my list above. EN is now jumpered to the 5V near it.

1 and 17 are open though.

The problem is that the directions on this wiring are, from what I can tell, geared toward Mach 3.

You can find the C41 board HERE ARE CNC4PC.COM .

Here's what they say about the board:

"This card lets you control your spindle with PWM and direction signals, as if it was an axis motor. It converts the step signal into and an analog (0-10VDC). This card also has two relays that can be used to control the direction (CW/CCW) and enable the drive (On/Off)."

Here's a schematic of the board itself. I am realizing that the way it's wired is probably wrong for LinuxCNC...

And here's a better diagram that shows my C10 board and how it's wired:

And you mentioned that it might help to have a pic of the wiring in the box specifically. Here's a pic:

Don't know if this helps, but on the CNC4C page for the C41 board they have a link to info about a HAL for LinuxCNC?

cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C41HALmodifications.pdf

More
26 Apr 2017 15:42 #92155 by fmfchop
So if I'm understanding this correctly, this board takes the 12V from the power and runs it to an output that is 0v for spindle stopped to 10v for spindle at 100% of available RPM'S.

It also uses the relays to tell the spindle to turn clockwise or counterclockwise clockwise.

I want that feature too...

So if that's the case, I need to actually wire both relays, correct?

One to turn the spindle CW, and one to turn it CCW?

More
27 Apr 2017 04:08 - 27 Apr 2017 14:01 #92178 by fmfchop
So I found this tidbit about the wiring inside the controller box....

"All models can be controlled with an isolated analog reference voltage (0 -7 VDC) in lieu of the main speed potentiometer. The voltage is connected to P2 (+) and F-."

So the wiring from pins 6 and 7 in the DB9 go to the control box to bypass the dial potentiometer that manually controls the speed of the motor. (6 to "F-" on controller board, 7 to "P2" on controller board)

If anyone has any other info/suggestions please feel free to chime in.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2017 14:01 by fmfchop.

More
27 Apr 2017 14:11 #92211 by fmfchop

More
27 Apr 2017 22:14 #92239 by tommylight
Attach your hal and ini file, please.
You have most of the things right, is the DB9 for linit switches ?
You have spindle inputs wired, but i can see only 2 wires going to C41, should be 3 if you want to have reverse on the spindle also, leave that fo later.

More
28 Apr 2017 04:06 #92245 by fmfchop
I don't even have a HAL or INI file yet. :(

I'm still just trying to get through the configuration wizard to get this thing running right.

I've got X Y and Z working again, and they test fine.

I've got the C41 part way wired, but I found a schematic for the C41 to the KB120 controller baord (same basic board as mine) and the wiring I have now, which is basically a copy of what was in there with Mach, is defintiely incorrect. I think the original builder just used the mill once in awhile, and didn't have everything on teh C41 hooked up.

I talked to a guy on CNCZONE that just wired up a G0704 mill with a C41. He's got the parts out and on a table to bench test right now. I'm waiting for pics from him that show his wiring because he said he has spindle on/off and cw/ccw rotations available, so I'm gonna see if I can get those pics, replicate his wiring, and go on from there.

Will update as soon as I find something out. Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.334 seconds