× Forum Header

Printer port pins

More
25 Jul 2009 18:18 - 25 Jul 2009 18:31 #627 by grey1beard
Printer port pins was created by grey1beard
My controller(ex Supercam system from Super Tech & Assoc.) uses L297 control chips.
From the circuit diagram that I have, it would seem it needs an enable signal on pin 14 of the parallel port.
Looking at the options in the step conf wizard, am I right in guessing that I should set pin 14 to "Amplifier enable" ?
If not, can someone tell me what the appropriate setting is.
And what should I have on pin 1, which carries the enigmatic STB on the circuit diagram, but which means nothing to me, I'm afraid.

As I'm having not a small amount of trouble in getting my old head round the "to invert or not to invert, that is the question" for the signals to the limit switches, it seems to me that I might start by having all the limit switches(two N/C on each axis) disabled in the software when I try testing my first axis.

Is this a good idea ?

At the moment, "it's very quiet, Corruthers, too damned quiet".
Nothing moves, or makes any sound when I switch the power on to the controller.
I started by checking the port settings in bios - 378, then discovered the printer mode was EPP + ECP.
The other options were "Output only" or "Bidirectional", so I chose Bidirectional.
Is that OK ?

With previous software, both Supercam and Turbocnc, the motors gave a small sound when I first powered up, which was quite reassuring, and indicated that all my connectors were plugged in.

When in the "Test this axis" window, hitting the jog button, or the Run button, has no effect, with the limit switch open or closed.

And I'm still invisible in the user map.............

Regards all,
John
Last edit: 25 Jul 2009 18:31 by grey1beard. Reason: omoted question

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2009 19:39 - 25 Jul 2009 23:15 #628 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Printer port pins
Amplifer Enable on pin 14 should be correct if I'm looking at the same schematic.
www.super-tech.com/root/itm.asp?p1=itm-supercam

The STB is a description of what the pin normally does for a printer.

I would just run the config and if your limits show on when they should be off the invert the pin

John
Last edit: 25 Jul 2009 23:15 by BigJohnT. Reason: spello

More
25 Jul 2009 20:38 #629 by grey1beard
Replied by grey1beard on topic Re:Printer port pins
BigJohnT wrote:

Amplifer Enable on pin 14 should be correct if I'm looking at the same schematic.
www.super-tech.com/root/itm.asp?p1=itm-supercam........

John

Yes, that's the same as in my cicuit diagram.

BigJohnT wrote:

........I would just run the config .....John

Not 100% clear on this.
Do you mean try running setup config again and create a new one from scratch ?
I did the first one before I had the pc connected to the controller. Was that a mistake, and will it make a difference to how the limit switches show up ?
I honestly don't remember what happened first time around - are you suprised ?:unsure:
Thanks and regards
John B

More
25 Jul 2009 23:19 #630 by BigJohnT
Well you could open up the last one you did if you did not change anything manually. You need the machine connected to the PC to see your limit switches when you run EMC. I don't think they show up in Stepconf.

You'll get there John just keep pecking away at it... that's what I did.

John

More
26 Jul 2009 16:31 - 26 Jul 2009 16:32 #632 by grey1beard
Following your advice and my instincts, I changed pins 14, 16, and 17 to "amplifier enable" and away it went.
So, I now have communications between pc and machine, and very sweet it sounds.:)

The last(?) step for the moment is to sort out the limit switches, which at the moment are being completely ignored by Stepconf when I use the "Test this axis", and hit the run button.

Am I right in assuming that when doing this test, activating a limit switch should stop the motor, wherever the gantry is located at the time ?

I have two limit switches, normally closed, wired in series on each axis, about 2cms in from the "hard stop" limit of travel.
I have used the "Both limits" setting in Stepconf, as this seems to be the closest description.

Am I right, or is this the source of my problem ?

John B
Last edit: 26 Jul 2009 16:32 by grey1beard. Reason: signature

More
27 Jul 2009 11:59 #635 by BigJohnT
The test this axis window only tests the drive settings.
To test your limit switches you have to run AXIS. You don't need a g code file running but I think at the minimum you need the e stop released and the machine power on. Then to test a switch just trip it manually.

If you want the ability to home each axis select Both Limit + Home for each axis.

John

More
27 Jul 2009 13:19 #637 by grey1beard
Thanks John.
I've been getting too many splinters from all the head scratching .

Regards
John B

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds