RTAPI: ERROR: unexpected realtime delay on task 1

More
17 Jun 2014 06:34 #48017 by hickbooz
Hi all!

I'm new to LinuxCNC and I'm having some trouble. My latency test goes to 500000ns when I open firefox (doesn't pass 20000ns with other apllications) and when I open LinuxCNC i get the error RTAPI: ERROR: unexpected realtime delay on task 1.

Below are the erros and my video card inforamtion. I would be very glad wiht someone could help me out. I've already done some research on it, but I have no results, maybe because I don't have a lot experience with LinuxCNNC.

id:
display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: G96 [GeForce 9500 GT]
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id:
bus info:
pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
configuration:
driver = nvidia
latency = 0
resources:
irq : 16
memory : fa000000-faffffff
memory : d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable)
memory : f8000000-f9ffffff
ioport : bf00(size=128)
memory : fb000000-fb07ffff(prefetchable)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2014 13:30 #48024 by ArcEye
Hi

You have the proprietary nvidia driver installed

Go to synaptic package installer and search for nvidia.
You will find the package nvidia-glx or similar installed

Removing that should revert to the open source nouveau driver and you should be informed that will happen

After a reboot your latency should be improved, but how much is unknown, as have no idea what your computer is. Some computers do not work well at all and others need 8.04.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: hickbooz

More
06 Aug 2014 03:21 #49540 by hickbooz
I tried to do it, but apparently there is no nvidia-glx installed.

I listed below the installed packages related to nvidia. There is a lot of nvidia-glx listed, but none of them are installed.

There is some other package that I have to unistall?

Thank you!
Attachments:

More
06 Aug 2014 13:30 - 06 Aug 2014 13:30 #49552 by ArcEye
I dont use Ubuntu, apparantly they were not content to have the same packages as Debian, so just had to change names etc.

Last post here seems to get to the root of it, just make sure you check nouveau is not still blacklisted before you reboot, earlier post covers that.

askubuntu.com/questions/206283/how-can-i...ia-driver-completely

regards
Last edit: 06 Aug 2014 13:30 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hickbooz

More
13 Aug 2014 03:24 #49778 by hickbooz
ArcEye,

I have just done the steps that are listed on the last link you send and the perfomance of the latency test improved a lot.

Now I can open normal aplicattions and use a lot of websites (without videos) and the test doesn't pass 60000ns. Also, the error when I tried to pen LinuxCNC is no longer appearing. Thank you!

But, when I see videos the test pass 200000ns and when I see streaming videos de test goes around 1500000... Is that ok?

Thanks!

More
13 Aug 2014 18:39 #49806 by ArcEye
Hi

The latency figure is still quite high in 'normal' use. The question is whether it is high with Linuxcnc.
No-one is going to watch videos whilst machining hopefully.

The main test for Linuxcnc is generally whether the GL routines used by the Axis gremlin widget, trigger high latency spikes.

The nearest way to test those and general video card function is to open about 4 or 5 instances of glxgears at the same time and move windows around, switch between applications etc to force repaints, whilst running the latency-test.
glxgears does not seem to have a particularly high GL impact, because you can still get problems with Axis if it runs glxgears OK, but it is an easy way to check for total incompatibility.

If you get 20K or lower you should be OK. You can probably get away with software stepping up to about 40K, but at slower rates than you might like.

Do a baseline test as above and 'suck it and see'.

If you start getting lost steps or following errors, you can reduce max velocity and acceleration and increase the base-thread interval to tune to what is realistic.
If that is slower than you would like, you may have to look for a better computer and / or video board.
I don't actually know what computer you have, just that has a GeForce 9500 video card

regards

More
02 Dec 2015 16:56 #66214 by hickbooz

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds