X loop/segment fauls on Lenovo, live-cd: unlive..

More
19 Nov 2015 16:18 #65513 by p1ersson
Im trying to boot the live-cd (www.linuxcnc.org/linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso) but X seems to segment fault and loops (oh, and I get just the text-grub @ boot) I have tested re-download, different usb-sticks and three different computers (all Lenovo though...) and same symptom.

When I tried the iso with kvm - nice graphic and a clean pretty boot to the live environment, so something with my choice of hardware...

Any suggestions to why or workaround?

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2015 00:08 #65549 by tommylight
I have and had over 40 IBM and lately Lenovo laptops, so here is the scoop : R series no good, T series are like tanks and Linuxcnc works on T20, T21, T23 namely ubuntu 8.04 is very usable and 10.04 is a bit sluggish but works fine, T41 and T43 work like a charm BUT you have to disable serial and IR ports in BIOS or the latency will be rubbish , X60 with a paraport on docking station runs like a champ, BUT disable the unnecessary ports and power sawing options, the latency never goes above 15000 (usualy 7000 to 8000).
And X220 will run anything on gods green earth but latency tends to run amok and it has no parport, not even on docking station ( it loks like a have a fetish for docking stations !!! :) :) :) ).
I also have a lot of Dell laptops ......with docking stations !!! :) :) :)
regards,
Tom
P.S.
Try this: at the grub menu press e and ad this as a start parameter
nomodeser-noveau=0
My Dell 6510 does not start ubuntu 10.04 without this added ( well it does but the screen remains black )

More
20 Nov 2015 07:28 #65561 by p1ersson
why use the novaeu when there is no nvidia-card in the machine..

Indeed, I got this laptop tossed at me and i don't know what plan there was. Oh well, better to focus on other stuff i recon
(we have been using Lenovos since they were'n. X and W-series, some T-models. Still like the X300... All ugly but robust)

Thanx for your response, have a good one

More
23 Nov 2015 23:39 #65723 by tommylight
I hope i am not to late, i do not know why the hell does ubuntu 10.04 use the noveau driver even if there is no nvidia card but it does and it will not work ( it starts all right if you like to stare at a blank screen ) if i do not edit the starting line on grub. This only happens on one of the dell e6510 i have, on a dell e6400 that i had 4 or 5 this never happened (still have one ) neither did it happen on a dell e4300 or e4200, i had them they all worked but latency is unusable from 1000000 to 2500000 no matter what you disable. They all use a parallel port on a docking station. Just had to mention that. :):):)
Regards,
Tom

More
24 Nov 2015 07:26 #65728 by p1ersson
A bit late, i did a check of what computer incl. all periphelal they wanted and.. no parallel port? So I have ditched the X230 for this, so now its just general knowledge... (Although I stopped trying to get it to boot - i don't have time to investigate this further. I will use some other old hardware with other fascinating bugs =)

More
24 Nov 2015 10:02 #65731 by p1ersson
I tested with different usb-sticks on other machines and - fails the same way. So i went into the basement, kicked the leopard and grabbed a DVD and voila - it installs nicely. oh well... now to the Fun stuff =D

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds