Touch Screen Recommendations

More
27 May 2016 12:03 - 27 May 2016 12:04 #75150 by perra_e
I have an ELO touch screen that has a very strange behavior. (Don't remember the model right now)
I didn't manage to get it work with anything else then ELO's own drivers for Linux.
With ELO's drivers it works fine, but only for about 20-30 minutes. After that it loses the calibration and the mouse is parked at the bottom of the screen. I don't even have to run any program for this to happen. It can idle and after a while it stops working. If I boot it works fine again for 20-30 minutes. I'm have installed linuxcnc from 2.7.4 iso with uspace added since I use Ethernet.

This is a very odd behavior!
--Per

edit: It is connected via USB.
Last edit: 27 May 2016 12:04 by perra_e.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2016 18:38 #75256 by Muzzer
Replied by Muzzer on topic Touch Screen Recommendations
The Asus VT207N is available for £160 or so eg Visiontech-2000 (link to Amazon UK shopfront). Sounds like a recommended option. Haven't seen anything much below this price.

More
30 May 2016 19:26 #75258 by Lcvette

I have an ELO touch screen that has a very strange behavior. (Don't remember the model right now)
I didn't manage to get it work with anything else then ELO's own drivers for Linux.
With ELO's drivers it works fine, but only for about 20-30 minutes. After that it loses the calibration and the mouse is parked at the bottom of the screen. I don't even have to run any program for this to happen. It can idle and after a while it stops working. If I boot it works fine again for 20-30 minutes. I'm have installed linuxcnc from 2.7.4 iso with uspace added since I use Ethernet.

--Per

Interesting.. So try and stay away from USB it sounds like...hmm will have to research this some more..

More
05 Aug 2016 18:04 #78393 by Wolfpacker
Per,

The Elo touch screen is most likely Projected Capacitive. They are good panels, but one of the disadvantages of the technology is that they can be susceptible to electromagnetic noise (like the noise generated by motors and fluorescent lights). The behavior you described is consistent with this kind of interference.

Try a simple test: just plug the monitor power cord into an outlet on a different circuit (preferably one without lights or motors ) and see if the behavior improves.

Good luck,

Wolfpacker

--Per

More
11 Aug 2016 11:52 #78604 by andypugh
Sorry for the delay in approving this message

More
16 Aug 2016 21:32 #78908 by kagouraki

I have had luck with ELO but it is on Ubuntu 10.04 and only certain types work. I can look up the part numbers if you need them.

JT

Hello, can you tell me if anyone of these would work; it will be a plasma cnc with gmoccapy. Thank you.

www.ebay.de/itm/141768750392

www.ebay.de/itm/131599232058

More
31 Aug 2016 06:30 #79765 by Dale Lusby

Dale,

I like the looks of that touch screen. What distro are you using? Did you use wheezy the install ISO/Linuxcnc?

I'm looking at purchasing a Planar PXL2230MW. I'm hoping it will be plug and play as well. I do plan on installing Linux mint LMDE 2 so it should have the same support.

I found a used PXL2230MW locally for only $60. It was plug and play as well. I am saving the other one for my Mori Seiki lathe retrofit and will be using the 2230 for my mill.

It feels similar to my other Planar although having the raised plastic frame around the edge does make it a bit difficult to touch items near the edge (or maybe it's just my "thick" fingers. I'm more than pleased with it so far.

More
08 Nov 2016 14:46 #82590 by freemo716
hi, i am using this model too , but cant figure how to install driver on ubuntu 14.04 , can you help me please ?

More
10 Dec 2016 01:57 #83872 by cncnoob1979
What model touch screen do you have? If its the Planar that I have you just have to calibrate it.

More
15 Dec 2016 00:34 #84131 by cncnoob1979
I just purchased an Asus VT207N. I wanted 16:9 wide-screen resolution for linuxcnc. The planar worked very well and was easy to set-up, I just needed a widescreen.

The Asus VT207N worked very well after issuing the command:
sudo modprobe hid_multitouch

afterwards I had to put this statment into my /etc/rc.local file (before the “exit” statement)
modprobe hid-multitouch

Works very well and was basically plug and play. I purchased it from ebay for 130$USD and new is approx 180$USD.
It works very well and Its a HUGE difference going to wide-screen with linuxcnc than 4:3. If you are looking for a touch screen recommendation then look no further! This one is a winner folks :) 1600x900 resolution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, kagouraki

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds