Matrox Millenium II graphics card

More
23 Aug 2016 07:26 #79296 by Zig
Got hold of one of these graphics cards.... figured it would give me a decent latency performance.

Tried to get it to run but no joy. not a sausage on the screen.

What am i missing ?
PC is a Sun work station m20 runing single opteron processor on ubuntu 10.04.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2016 12:28 #79304 by Todd Zuercher
Not seated right in the slot? Dirty, bad connections? Card DOA? Do you have another machine you could try it in?

More
23 Aug 2016 13:03 #79311 by tommylight
Or noveau driver messing itself up, it does that a lot.
There is something to be added to grub at the start for it to work, ..........nomodeset=0 ............forgot what,
leme check,
Add this to grub
nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0
It worked like a charm on some dell laptops i use.

More
03 Sep 2016 04:27 #79954 by Zig
More feedback

The PC is a Sun workstation Ultra 20 sporting a Tyan Opteron motherboard vintage 2004. Motherboard is Tyan Tomcat K8E S2865.
Latency reports numbers below 5000 worst case.

Found four of them in a recyclers shed. Bought 3 and then later inherited one more. Price USD150 a piece.
Actively using two. One failed and now the second one died.

Signs of death: PCs came with Quadro FX 1400 graphics cards living in a PCIe slot. Graphics did not wake up one day.A check of the graphics card showed it to be OK so i can only surmise the PCIe slot gave up the ghost.
I switched over to onboard graphics ( ATI Rage ) which made latency shoot through the roof.
It was in the mid 20000's.

I got hold of the Matrox card and tried to use it.
No joy.

A check of the motherboard manual showed a jumper needed to be installed to make the PCI ( Not PCIe ) slot be recognised by disabling onboard graphics.

Sadly SUN in their wisdom nobled a number of options so ... no link just a blank area for the header.
OK so i soldered the link in place and fired up the Matrox...

Monitor came on.. garbled text on the screen.
Tried modifying the grub configuration file.. display still garbled.
However another PCI card sprang into life... latency in mid 30000's. BUGGER.

Tried to press the PCIe card into service.. nope... nogo.

Have reached the decision to let it go.. ...quietly. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 Sep 2016 14:28 #79976 by tommylight
Ahhh the dreaded old/new systems, besides all the freaking standards some things just do not want to cooperate, also manufacturers implementation of things sometimes is just plain weird and defy's logic. referring here to you, dell, no standard power supply? oh well cut rearrange and connect some wires .....
The moral of the story (besides showing that i own a lot of DELL hardware), is do not give up, ask your friends or ebay for old graphic cards, but not to old. Or use them with on board graphic, 20000 or 30000 aint that bad ( most of my systems are in that range ). Or use softwareGL.
Give it a try, you might just be surprised.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds