Sanity check me please, Q1900B-ITX J1900 combo

More
23 Aug 2016 18:04 #79322 by TroyO
I got $100 for my B-Day, and I think I may spend it on a PC to run my G0704 conversion Mill. I currently have an old school PC Motherboard (P4?) that's been around the block several times and it's showing it's age and stability has been a big issue. It was an Asus Terminator or some such, in a proprietary small form factor tower and it was shoved unceremoniously in to a full ATX case that houses the other CNC crap.

It's a simple setup, Parallel -> Breakout -> DIY Stepper Drivers -> motors. I have an emergency switch, a single Limit switch, charge pump output and a PWM spindle control pin. Ohh, and a coolant output to switch on a mister. I'm not using MESA or any advanced card for output so I think I just need something stable with a standard parallel port output.

To that end, I have been eyeballing this MB as a replacement with a couple of sticks of generic ram (4GB?)

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...13157497&ignorebbr=1

The price seems right and will be under $100 at my door. Searching here found very few posts but I may be using the wrong terms... anyone have experience with it or know if its a known failure? Is there anything else in the same price range that would make a better replacement?

Am I completely off base and there's just no way something that cheap will work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2016 18:26 #79327 by Todd Zuercher
It should be fine, I am using an ASRock Q1900-Pro3 which is pretty similar to that, except it has more expansion slots.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157565
It is working great for me, Too bad you can't find them any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TroyO

More
23 Aug 2016 20:09 #79336 by TroyO
This would be the most equivalent variant.

ASRock Q1900M

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...13157513&ignorebbr=1

It doesn't have the PPort, tho it does have the header for one. Hmmm, I have a PCI PPort card on the current motherboard, and I'm actually using the pin header from that to go to the Breakout Board anyway. That would still give me an external Port, and an additional internal header to use if it ever came up. Price is a wash... a couple bucks different, but the RAM is a couple bucks cheaper. It evens out within pennies.

Shucks, I think I just convinced myself to get this one instead.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds