dual motor gantry setup

More
07 Jul 2017 03:28 #95461 by Hippy
I have a dual motor gantry and am having issues setting this up. My plan was to use gantrykins or the other one so i could have auto squaring but have figured out i have no idea what i am doing. When i use stepconf 4 axis setup the A axis appears to be for a rotary drive not like a straight-line drive like the 3 other axis. So i have zero idea of what to input as for as values in the boxes.
When i try the 3 axis stepconf setup I can only get it to move one of the motors, so i am stuck. I have tried setting up the pins so both of the drivers for the gantry are the same letter, but still only one of the motors turn.
At this point i am open to either option, as i dont really know if i need auto squaring or not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2017 03:50 - 07 Jul 2017 03:50 #95462 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic dual motor gantry setup
If you have a gantry, you are well advised to upgrade to master branch which fully supports joint axis homing which makes life much easier.

See 3.10 on this page linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-homing.html

Sorry I can't help with configuring this in StepConf as I've never used it. I just edit the .ini file
Last edit: 07 Jul 2017 03:50 by rodw.

More
07 Jul 2017 04:28 - 07 Jul 2017 04:39 #95463 by Hippy
Replied by Hippy on topic dual motor gantry setup
I have finally had success in getting both motors to work as one. I am happy for now will work on getting independent homing at a later as it appears a tad more complicated then expected. Now to finally make a little dust..maybe

I just noticed i posted this in the wrong section, my bad.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2017 04:39 by Hippy.

More
07 Jul 2017 05:33 #95464 by rodw

I have finally had success in getting both motors to work as one. I am happy for now will work on getting independent homing at a later as it appears a tad more complicated then expected. Now to finally make a little dust..maybe

I just noticed i posted this in the wrong section, my bad.

Not really, its just a matter of them both having the same negative number for the homing sequence and then the final offset is used to square the gantry position in software without the need to adjust the physical hardware.
Maybe ask me again after the weekend as my plan is to configure my gantry limit switches tomorrow :S

More
10 Jul 2017 00:08 #95566 by Hippy
Replied by Hippy on topic dual motor gantry setup

Not really, its just a matter of them both having the same negative number for the homing sequence and then the final offset is used to square the gantry position in software without the need to adjust the physical hardware.
Maybe ask me again after the weekend as my plan is to configure my gantry limit switches tomorrow :S

So how did it go?

More
10 Jul 2017 05:35 #95576 by rodw
Perfect! I started with the switches the same distance from the end of the table.

I put a USB camera on the gantry and put a sheet of steel on the table with a verified square corner I checked with a roofing set square. I got the side square and then just moved the head across the gantry to the other side and measured the difference through the USB camera. It was out 2mm and then I changed the offset on that side by 2mm. I rehomed and it was spot on with the USB camera.

It took much longer to get set up with the camera etc than it took to actually square it.

If I push the gantry out of square, it fixes itself when you home again.

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds