M66 Wait For Arc-OK: L1 or L3?

More
27 Jan 2015 21:16 - 09 Mar 2015 23:26 #55382 by Paul
Hi there,

I use "M66 P0 L1 Q2" to find out when the plasma arc transfers to the cutting material. Would there be any advantage toward timing accuracy if "M66 P0 L3 Q2" was to be used instead? I assume a L1 rise is for analog and L3 high-state is for digital and if this is correct, can the rise moment vary from one event to another even though I would guess that the arc-ok signal is either on or off?

I am having times when axis movement starts sooner than it should and other times, during the same job, that the timing is better. I'm not by the machine to test at the moment, but am curious enough to ask.

Thank you...
Paul
Last edit: 09 Mar 2015 23:26 by Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2015 00:18 #55393 by BigJohnT
This is my touch off subroutine for my plasma.
o<touchoff> sub
(#1 pierce height, #2 pierce delay, #3 cut height)
F10
G38.2 Z-1.75 (Probe to find the surface)
G91
G1 Z0.070 (Raise up to Z0)
G90
G92 Z0 (Set Z0)
G1 Z#1
M3 S1
M66 P0 L1 Q5 (Wait for Arc OK from Torch)
G4 P#2 (Pause for pierce delay)
F25
Z#3 (goto cut height)
o<touchoff> endsub
M2

Might be a false trigger giving you issues, what hardware are you using for input?

JT

More
28 Jan 2015 01:24 - 10 Feb 2015 23:12 #55394 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic M66 Wait For Arc-OK: L1 or L3?
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I have ARC-OK data coming from the cutter going to a C-10 breakout board's input.

I probably use your subroutine (thanks), but I only do the touchoff, itself, within the subroutine. After it finds the top of the material and zero's out, the sub is over and the main gcode sets the pierce height, fire, delay, cut height, etc.

I don' t think that would introduce any variances by not completing all the above within the sub. ..? I will look into other areas. I was just hoping for a quick fix, I guess.

Thanks...
Paul
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 23:12 by Paul.

More
29 Jan 2015 19:22 #55443 by Paul
Might be false triggering. I changed the input to another pin on the same breakout board and made a few cuts. So far, all ARC-OK timing is good.

Can a single pin on a breakout board go bad?

More
29 Jan 2015 22:44 #55447 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic M66 Wait For Arc-OK: L1 or L3?
A single pin that got connected to something nasty might :-)

It may just be that the pin is slightly more susceptible to noise.
Plasma systems are notoriously noisy so its probably not a bad
idea to debounce_all_ inputs

More
30 Jan 2015 19:31 #55481 by Paul
Thanks. I think I could use debounce on a few pins. I get the occational limit switch trip at times. That hasn't happened since adding capacitors across those connections.

Thanks again.

More
30 Jan 2015 19:56 #55484 by andypugh

Thanks. I think I could use debounce on a few pins. I get the occational limit switch trip at times. That hasn't happened since adding capacitors across those connections..

You can debounce in software. Then it's easy to change the time constant:

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/debounce.9.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul

More
30 Jan 2015 21:22 - 30 Jan 2015 21:28 #55488 by Paul

You can debounce in software. Then it's easy to change the time constant:

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/debounce.9.html

Much simpler (I mean convenient. I'm sure it's not simple!). I should have known you would already have a way to address this...

Thank You
Last edit: 30 Jan 2015 21:28 by Paul.

More
03 Feb 2015 12:06 #55617 by Paul
Very nice. I now am using debounce for all inputs. Haven't ran the table too much, but haven't noticed any false triggers so far. Thanks again.

Paul

More
10 Feb 2015 23:09 - 10 Feb 2015 23:14 #55866 by Paul
OK - On the slim chance this happens to someone else looking for a solution, I'm fairly sure I figured out the whole problem. I may have had false arc-ok triggering, but that wouldn't have been the only thing.

Earlier in life, and for another reason, I changed my M66 wait time from 5 seconds to 2 seconds. That worked without any troubles when I ran a high frequency start cutter that could fire the arc while the air was still flowing. I'm now running a cutter that has to shut down the air flow in order to fire the torch. That takes time and the M66 timer must have been timing out a bit too early for this setup.

I am now programmed back to 5 seconds and after 150 pierces, not one delay problem. I kind of figured this out, in part, because I never noticed the first pierce ever moving too soon. I would have guessed all subsequent pierces would have been running into the problem, but maybe I was only noticing the really early (no) delays.

Again - thank for your help...

Paul
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 23:14 by Paul.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds