Does M5 Break Blending?

More
17 Jan 2016 22:13 #68625 by Paul
Thanks for all the help. I worked with this and can see a big difference using M62/M63 compared to M3/M5. No stops noticed at all using M63. I don't have my config just right yet because M3/M5 doesn't work now. This is what I changed:

From
net spindle-on and2.0.in1 <= motion.spindle-on => parport.0.pin-16-out
net ext-feedhold and2.0.out => motion.feed-hold

To:
net spindle-on and2.0.in1 <= motion.digital-out-01 => parport.0.pin-16-out
net ext-feedhold and2.0.out => motion.feed-hold

The thing that bothers me now is wondering if it's possible to ever have a M63 without a move following it. At first I thought I could just program or restate the current position, but that doesn't work. It seems an actual move must happen in order for M62/M63 to work.

And, Todd, as far as a filter script: I swear I read the manual (honestly), but many areas of the manual must fly right over me. I've seen this section many times, but didn't realise what all can be done using a filter. Thanks for that and now I wonder what else I've missed. Much I am sure.

Thanks again - I know I have more to figure out to get M3/M5 to work, but I am happy to be able to use M62/M63 for the torch.

PK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2016 22:26 #68627 by andypugh

The thing that bothers me now is wondering if it's possible to ever have a M63 without a move following it.

No, but you can use the M64 / M65 non-synched commands instead if there is no move following.

More
17 Jan 2016 23:39 #68633 by Rick G

At first I thought I could just program or restate the current position, but that doesn't work. It seems an actual move must happen in order for M62/M63 to work.

Yes.

No, but you can use the M64 / M65 non-synched commands instead if there is no move following.

Yes but that will break blending.

Rick G

More
18 Jan 2016 00:20 #68637 by Paul
I was hoping to modify my SheetCAM post to add a line after each M63 to satisfy the motion command requirement without actually moving an axis just to be safe. I better make sure M5 is working before implementing this.

More
18 Jan 2016 00:31 - 18 Jan 2016 00:31 #68639 by andypugh

Yes but that will break blending.

If there is no move following, is blending even relevant?
Last edit: 18 Jan 2016 00:31 by andypugh.

More
18 Jan 2016 08:39 - 18 Jan 2016 08:43 #68656 by Rick G

If there is no move following, is blending even relevant?

Right Andy, none that I can see. The original question was if M5 breaks blending, and how to turn off the plasma torch without breaking blending.
So as I think Andy is suggesting you could use M62 to turn the torch on and M63 to turn torch off without breaking blending when there is a g move after it and M65 to turn the torch off if there is no other move.

What I am suggesting is setting your machine to use M3 to turn the torch on and M63 or M5 to turn it off.
To do this you will have to modify your hal file so that both M62 and M3 are active for the torch to go on and either M5 or M63 will turn the torch off.
In your hal something like this...
net arc_off_lead_out and2.2.in0 <= motion.digital-out-00 
net spindle_command_on and2.2.in1 <= motion.spindle-on
net spindle-on and2.2.out => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.output-00 and2.1.in1

This way M3 and M5 work for safety.
I use a sub to light the torch instead of a M3, in this sub the height of the material is found, the torch moves to piercing height, a M62 and a M3 turn the torch on, delay, drops to cutting height, etc.
A M63 can then turn the torch off without breaking blending and I end with a M5.
I primary use this with ngcgui plasma programs.
This is if you need to turn the torch off without the machine slowing down. Say you are cutting a square and the final moves bring you back to the start point and you want to turn the torch off without slowing down or going over the original kerf.

Having said all that if you have room and can use a leadout in sheetcam and the leadout is large enough the machine should be able to keep speed without breaking blending during the work with just a normal M3 and M5 and slow down only during the leadout without any of this.

Rick G
Last edit: 18 Jan 2016 08:43 by Rick G.

More
18 Jan 2016 13:03 #68678 by Paul
Thanks for the example. I want to make sure I can also stop motion if ARC-OK goes negative, so I will look into this.

Yes - Originally I started this to find out if M5 does break blending by design or if I had a local config that somehow introduced a pause along with the M5 before the end. Your suggested test files confirmed that M63 does give me the results I am looking for.

I experimented with leadouts along with torch off early, but with detailed work, I had too many times where I lost arc before the move was completed. I still have a few times where I loose the arc, but it is more important to stop motion on a major job of mine to restart at that same point after addressing the lost arc issue.

With my last modification, I lost the use of M3/M5, so I was then looking for a way to make sure a move would always be programmed to ensure that a M63 command would be successful. I guess I'd like to have my cake and eat it too - If I can use both M3/M5 and M63, that would seem best for be. Today.

Thanks again...

PK

More
21 Jan 2016 18:46 #68890 by Paul
Rick -

I basically used your last example and with adjustments to my setup believe I have it going as intended.

One thing I noticed was trying to start a job on a specific line doesn't seem to work. Do I have things set correctly and need to accept this? Since I have my M62 at the beginning, I'm assuming running from a line later the this, won't have the logic set correctly.

I just wanted to check... Thanks again

PK

More
21 Jan 2016 22:30 #68902 by andypugh

One thing I noticed was trying to start a job on a specific line doesn't seem to work.

This is the same with millling, you need to set up the spindle speed, feed rate and coolant first before restarting.
It's not ideal. You could argue that the system should run through the file to that point to get the state right, but then that would cause problems sometimes too.

More
21 Jan 2016 23:13 #68904 by Paul
Thanks Andy, Good to have the confirmation. It is what it is.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds