U V W Relative motion commands

More
22 Mar 2016 01:56 #72002 by jim_dewit
Hi - total rookie here - Ive looked for this everywhere and I cant find an answer - Im sure its something blindingly obvious but im missing it.

When I use the U V or W words as relative motion commands for the X Y or Z axes I get an error saying they are not valid g code commands..... huhhhh?! :huh: Does linuxcnc not allow this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2016 12:47 #72015 by Todd Zuercher
Are you using a config that has U, V, or W axis set up? I am running several machines using those axis and their commands in G-code work perfectly well for me. Try loading one of the 9 axis sim configs, then I think you will find they do work.

More
22 Mar 2016 13:28 #72020 by emcPT
In linuxcnc U V and W are not incremental moves like in many other machines. They are "normal" axis like X Y Z.

If you want to preform a incremental movement you must be in G91 mode (I do not know any other way).

More
22 Mar 2016 14:04 #72025 by Todd Zuercher
Guess I didn't read the original post well enough. I'd never heard of using UVW as incremental movement commands for XYZ before. Yes to make an incremental command in Linuxcnc (and every other control I've used) you must use G91.

More
22 Mar 2016 14:40 #72027 by emcPT
U and W are normally used in Fanuc lathes (for example).

More
22 Mar 2016 15:03 #72031 by Todd Zuercher
Pretty sure none of our 7 Fanuc machines take it (none of which are lathes).

More
22 Mar 2016 17:03 #72043 by jim_dewit
I was gifted a pretty nice CNC mill and am just learning all aspects of CNC at once - Ive seen U V W used in some example code so I just assumed it would worked on linuxcnc. Thanks for the help.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds