Using U axis without X

More
02 Sep 2016 13:23 #79904 by CanadianNC
Hi,

I was running my machine yesterday (dual-table router) and since the X table is having some issues we decided to modify the program to run on the U axis table (find and replace all X with U in the Gcode). I found the following issues when not using the X axis:

1. The preview toolpath adjusts to the position of the X axis regardless of the fact that there are no Xs in the program. You can't run the program unless the X axis thinks it's in the right position despite the U offsets being set correctly.
2. The U axis ignored all feed speed commands and moved at the rapid speed at all times. The machine would fly down the U axis and then crawl across the Y axis.

Is this normal behavior for AXIS? Are there tweaks I could make to have both tables usable separately?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2016 20:38 #79933 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Using U axis without X
LinuxCNC doesn't really know how U, V and W map into cartesian space (nor, for that matter, A, B and C)
So, path blending and velocity limits are not enforced (though feed rates, at least, should be honoured)

This isn't a simple fix, because it isn't simple to define what the extra 6 axes mean, for machines that have them, it will tend to be different from one machine to the next.

In your situation, a better idea would be to copy the INI file to a new name, and have it reference a different HAL file that passes X-commands to the U-motor. You can then choose the config you want from the config picker. The configs can share all other files.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CanadianNC

More
02 Sep 2016 20:56 #79934 by CanadianNC
Replied by CanadianNC on topic Using U axis without X
That limitation makes sense and so does your solution. As for the feed speed I could make it slow down with the feed override but that slows every axis.. The U axis was definitely traveling 2-3 times faster than it should have been.

As an aside, I'm trying to figure out RTCP and I can't find the spot where I can enter the pivot length of the machine in the HAL or INI files. I'm hoping I don't have to compile the 5axiskins every time I need to adjust that parameter during machine testing...

Thanks!

More
02 Sep 2016 21:06 - 02 Sep 2016 21:08 #79937 by andypugh
Some nice RTCP configs are included in 2.8/Master, with some good docs.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/motion/5-axis-kinematics.html

You don't have to understand the matrix maths, that hard stuff is already in the kins modules,

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/9d6f9e...table-rotary-tilting
Last edit: 02 Sep 2016 21:08 by andypugh.

More
02 Sep 2016 21:24 #79938 by CanadianNC
I think the standard 5axiskins is actually all I need for the machine but it's just that one parameter (pivot length) that I can't seem to find in any of the documents or the sample configs. Now maybe that's just because I don't know what I'm looking for...

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

More
03 Sep 2016 02:38 #79948 by Todd Zuercher
Sorry, I don't know much about configuring 5 axis kins, but as to your feed rate problems with U. When the new trajectory planner first came out, there were a lot of bugs that needed to be shaken out of the way U,V,W behaved. (I helped find a few with our XYZW machine). Maybe there are still a few crawling around in there. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to try experimenting with 2.6 a little, for a basis for comparison, and see if your U problems are more well behaved.

More
03 Sep 2016 14:08 #79971 by andypugh
5axiskins creates a HAL pin called "5axiskins.pivot-length" that can be connected the the tool-length HAL pins.
I think it works best if connected to the W-offset and if tool lengths are put in the W column. The tool length probably needs to be the distance from pivot to tool tip.

I have never tried to use it....

More
06 Sep 2016 12:25 #80071 by CanadianNC
Thanks for your help!

I think that's what I need. I'm assuming with a little HAL connection magic I could set a fixed pivot length that's the distance from the pivot to the tip of the spindle and then add to that the W offset for each tool? I'm still learning what this stuff is capable of... and it seems like pretty much anything and everything.

More
06 Sep 2016 12:39 #80072 by andypugh

I'm assuming with a littgle HAL connection magic I could set a fixed pivot length that's the distance from the pivot to the tip of the spindle and then add to that the W offset for each tool?

Yes, that should work.
It all depends on how you measure the tool length. Unfortunately I don't think that normal touch-off methods will work, but it's worth experimenting to find what does happen.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds