Rounded Corners / MAX_FEED_OVERRIDE

More
28 Oct 2016 11:53 - 28 Oct 2016 11:57 #82173 by TomAux
Hi!

I currently have some issues with the AXIS GUI. My CAM doesn't know wood so gives me a little lower speeds than I would want. I thought I could compensate by using the Override > 100% but when i adjust the MAX_FEED_OVERRIDE in the .ini File, all Corners of the paths are coming out extremely rounded - that is with the actual Feed Override still set at 100%.
This looks like a bug to me, how can the maximum of a slider affect the path?
Maybe however I don't understand how Feed Override works?

Btw. I observed this using the "Splash Screen" LinuxCNC G Code.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2016 11:57 by TomAux.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2016 12:02 #82174 by andypugh
When setting up your configuration you will have defined some maximum acceleration values.
These values define the minimum radius that the machine is capable of at a given speed. (this is physics, not software)
As the speed increases, so does the minimum radius.

If the acceleration numbers that you chose were based on guesses rather than on experiment then you should try to increase them.

if the values are accurate, then you will have to sacrifice some speed around corners for path accuracy. Take a look at the linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/user/user-con...rajectory_controlG61 and G64 settings.

More
28 Oct 2016 12:11 #82176 by TomAux
Thank you for your answer. That is not the issue though.
I have two otherwise identical .ini files, one with MAX_FEED_OVERRIDE at 1.2, one with 3.0
When running the same G Code on both "machines" at Feed Override at 100% (same speed on both!) the one with the higher MAX_FEED_OVERRIDE rounds over the corners as if G64 was active with high tolerance.

More
28 Oct 2016 12:17 #82177 by TomAux
P.S.: To reproduce, change MAX_FEED_OVERRIDE to 3.0 in .ini file, run axis.ngc, exit, switch back to 1.2, restart, run axis.ngc again.

More
28 Oct 2016 12:21 - 28 Oct 2016 12:21 #82178 by TomAux
Config files attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: Zulumill.tgz
File Size:3 KB

Axis version 2.7.6
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Oct 2016 12:21 by TomAux.

More
28 Oct 2016 12:33 #82180 by andypugh
I have a vague memory about this...

The part of the planner that creates the trajectory creates all the moves in advance. It has to leave enough leeway in the path shape to allow for max-override when the path is actually being cut.

More
28 Oct 2016 12:46 #82181 by TomAux
That sound like a reasonable explanation, thank you! Guess I'll have to look a little further into how control is done for CNC machines. Coming from industrial robotics I'm used to Hand Override not affecting the path geometry.

Will the path also be affected by override settings between 0 and 100% ?

More
28 Oct 2016 13:29 #82184 by andypugh
I think that the path is exactly the same regardless of override, but is always a path that can be followed at max override.

Your simplest fix will be to set a G64 tolerance.

The best fix would be to make sure the machine acceleration limits are accurate, and to see if you can edit a setting in the CAM software to allow faster feeds.
If not, a rather hacky-fix would be to use feed/10 in the CAM and then have an input filter for LinuxCNC that miltiplies all F-words by a factor of 10.

More
22 Dec 2016 02:38 #84535 by OT-CNC
I ran into a similar issue on my lathe recently. During rapids the path was rounded and quite noticeably. I turned my rapids down from 300ipm to 100ipm and the same rounding occurred. I then looked into trajectory control and added G64 P.002. Oddly nothing changed. I then looked at my code and changed any numbers that didn't carry the decimal. I had few Z1. instead Z1.0000. Once that change was made, the rounding disappeared.

More
22 Dec 2016 03:08 #84537 by andypugh

I had few Z1. instead Z1.0000. Once that change was made, the rounding disappeared.

That is a surprise. I thought that all G-code numbers were float by default.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds