A Axis not displaying correctly?

More
29 Jan 2017 04:15 - 29 Jan 2017 04:16 #86879 by Sparky961
I haven't been doing a lot yet with my 4th axis, but today I was playing around and noticed that AXIS isn't displaying the rotation correctly.

I found this video that shows what I'd expect to see:

On my system the "cone" just rotates around the current position rather than show a rotating toolpath. Can anyone offer some hints on how to configure this properly? Version 2.7
Last edit: 29 Jan 2017 04:16 by Sparky961.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2017 01:33 #87025 by andypugh
The important thing is the GEOMETRY setting in the DISPLAY section of the INI
Try AXYZ rather than XYZA

More
31 Jan 2017 03:03 #87033 by Sparky961
Interesting... doing as you've suggested, the cone (or tool, if I "load" one - no tool changer) does now move in an arc when I jog "A". How this arc relates to anything I'm not quite sure yet, though I suspect the offsets are not correct.

I tried "loading" a tool then "touching off" with X=0 and Z=0 on the rotary axis, which rotates about Y at the moment. Come to think of it, this is rather silly because it doesn't care where "A" is. My G54 offsets have larg-ish values (single digit inches) and that looks around the same scale of the arc I'm getting when rotating "A". In the video I posted, he mentioned something about setting machine zero to the rotary axis. How is this done, or am I on the right track?

Definitely a step in the right direction.

Since I make setups where A rotates around any of the other axes, would I be correct to assume that AXYZ is around X, XAYZ is around Y, and XYAZ is around Z? I can try it quick enough if you don't know.

Thanks.

More
31 Jan 2017 03:15 #87034 by tommylight
A rotates around X, B around Y and C around Z.

More
31 Jan 2017 03:25 #87035 by Sparky961
Crap. But ya, thanks... I knew, but had forgotten that. Does that mean that I'm going to have an issue with joint numbering again if I want AXIS to be able to properly display the rotary movement in various positions? I posted a thread on this fairly recently regarding my 3-in-one mill/lathe configurations.

If that's the case I'll just live with it the way it is until I've upgraded to 2.8.

More
31 Jan 2017 03:52 #87036 by tommylight
If you are talking about having to use B axis as it is rotating around Y, you have 2 options
1 use 5 axis kins and set it as you need it, it does not matter that you have only 4 axis
2 make a usual config fro 5 axis by copying the parts refering to axis A and naming everything to B, and point the output to the drive through the A axis pins.

More
31 Jan 2017 09:57 #87046 by andypugh

Since I make setups where A rotates around any of the other axes, would I be correct to assume that AXYZ is around X, XAYZ is around Y, and XYAZ is around Z? I can try it quick enough if you don't know..

No, not really. The GEOMETRY line is just the order in which the translations and rotations are applied in the graphical preview.

Axis preview knows very little at all about your actual machine geometry. It assumes that the centre of rotation is the current 0 of the working coordinate system (I think) and this might or might not be true.

You can create a more accurate preview with a Vismach simulation of the entire machine. This is a lot more work.

More
01 Feb 2017 03:19 #87112 by Sparky961
Ok, so not necessarily a quick fix for this at the moment. That's ok. I hadn't thought much about it until I saw that video, then it was like "Hey! Why doesn't mine do that?"

I'll tuck away your tips and advice for later if I find I really need this to happen.

Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds