AXIS - estimate of machining time

More
23 Jul 2009 03:33 #611 by Zig
Question already posted in CNC Zone.

The file property option in Axis provides the statistic on nc file currently loaded , namely, high speed traverse length, length of coordinated motion path and estimate of traverse time.

The estimated traverse time however vastly varies from actual machine time to run the nc file. Is there some switch or other setting to ensure Axis statistic matches up with the actual machining time?

Zig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2009 12:14 - 23 Jul 2009 12:19 #614 by BigJohnT
I didn't even know it was there!

It does not take acceleration into the calculation or blending so if you have a lot of short moves it is way off.

Cheers
John
Last edit: 23 Jul 2009 12:19 by BigJohnT. Reason: totally wrong the first time

More
23 Jul 2009 12:42 #616 by Zig
Yes John,

I too surmised it did not consider the machine dynamics when guestimating the time.
I had come across a package which also claimed to be able to determine the time ( within its simulation process ) but it too failed miserably; it did not invite the user to specify machine axis dynamics ( acceleration ).

To be fair there was a RETARDATION parameter with no explanation of what it was ment to simulate and it was capable of accepting input in whole seconds only. One second made the simulation run out to four or five times longer than actual performance, zero second retardation made the simulation undershoot by 70%

A case of the tits on a bull ( useless ), any way You look at it
Zig

More
14 Aug 2009 07:04 #700 by Zig
John,

Is there a name I should contact with a plea to improve this particular aspect of Axis?

More
14 Aug 2009 10:54 #702 by BigJohnT
There are several ways to get a change to EMC.

You could hang out on the IRC channel #emc-devel and see if one of the developers are interested in working on this.

You could make the change yourself and submit a patch for review.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Git...gh_e_mail_or_the_web

You could make a feature request at source forge.
sourceforge.net/projects/emc/

You could ask on the EMC developers mailing list.
www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/4/8/lang,en/

You could hang out on the #emc IRC channel and see if one of the users is interested in working on this.

Do you need this for estimating jobs or something else?

John

More
14 Aug 2009 21:48 #706 by Zig
John,

Yes as a part of the estimating approach.

More
15 Aug 2009 11:28 #708 by BigJohnT
I've seen that in commerical software and sometimes it works and sometimes it didn't :)

If it is small jobs you could just run the code with your machine off to see how long it takes.

John

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds