spindle speed not working

More
30 Aug 2011 23:02 #12864 by cncbasher
yes good thinking , also is their any info on adjusting the scale etc , as i notice the speed disply doc's are different to the newly produced code by pncconf
i.e which is the scale factor and fixing the pwm top freq for example

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2011 00:29 #12866 by cmorley
What scaling are you referring too? There is:
encoder scaling - set on spindle page
rps to rpm scaling - a constant number (60)
spindle up to speed scaling. set on spindle page if wanted and using an encoder.
currently the only way to limit the PWM is to use pid and set a limit on that.( see PID maxoutput )
Not that I have tried this at all!
The reason that Spindle control is so limited is because the trajectory planner in EMC does not control the spindle.
So there is no acceleration limit or max speed limit. PNCconf lied to you in earlier versions. You could enter the info but it did nothing.
If using a stepper motor for the spindle then pncconf uses the stepper planner to control acceleration and max speed.
The big plan is to make a COMP component that does the acceleration and velocity limiting and supports gear changes.
Andy has such a component floating around but it has not been added to EMC and I'm not sure it is exactly what I want....
So in the mean time if you want it , you gotta add it to the custom HAL file your self.

Was that too much of a story? :)

On a side note i want to thank you cncbasher for all your reports back about pncconf.
It really really helps !

Chris M

More
31 Aug 2011 08:09 #12868 by cncbasher
no problem Chris , just dont like buggn you too much haha ..
i'll look further into the spindle stuff later , once i get this machine sorted and working

at the moment all i need realy is to match the speed readout to the actual rpm of the spindle , or close as
this particular machine has a toshiba VFD i'm feeding it from a 7I43 via pwm and a home made pwm to voltage interface

i'll mention to Andy if he has the comp available

any testing you need Chris just shout , i'm happy to help anytime

More
31 Aug 2011 12:33 #12870 by andypugh
The component was temporarily in EMC2, but I took it out again as the spindle scale was inverted, and Les produced an alternative (and other reasons)
That means you can pick it up from Git,
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=emc2.git;a=tre...467eb535b514f0da3d5b
Save-as the gearchange.comp file, then comp --install it, and it should be available to use. man gearchange will bring up the docs.

I am considering an upgraded version that handles spindle indexing too.

More
31 Aug 2011 19:54 #12880 by cncbasher
Thanks Andy

Time to create page: 0.358 seconds