pin 'pyvcp.xxxxx' does not exist

More
05 Jun 2010 12:12 #3072 by grewgood
When extensive web searching does not reveal an answer it usually means the solution is so ridiculously easy it is not worth mentioning so I am expecting to be lambasted for my ignorance here but I have pained over this for plenty of hours already and am going around in circles.

net min-home-x => pyvcp.xlimitswitch will correctly light up an LED in my pyvcp panel.
net xpos-cmd => pyvcp.my-x-position will show the axis position
etc

But

net spindle-start <= pyvcp.spindle-on => halui.spindle.start in my custom.hal file exits with error - "pin 'pyvcp.spindle-on' does not exist" even though it is listed in my custompanel.xml file as:-

<button>
<font>("Helvetica",20)</font>
<text>"ON"</text>
<halpin>"spindle-on"</halpin>
</button>

I have tried implementing the jog axis example in the manual and get the same message for those pins too.

Am I missing something as to why the hal does not acknowledge pins that are used for input???

Any pointers in the right direction appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2010 19:54 #3076 by Dave_Dyke
I am getting the same error with pyvcp pins.
When my hal connection to the pyvcp pin is commented out, the config loads, and looking in hal show, the pyvcp pins are listed and displayed in the gui.
I am using mesa 5i20's, one machine using hostmot4 runs the config and functions fully, the second machine I am trying to use hm2 with no luck so far.

More
06 Jun 2010 06:03 #3078 by cmorley
please post your config files.

More
06 Jun 2010 15:36 #3079 by BigJohnT
Any references to pyvcp need to go in your postgui.hal file not your custom.hal file.

Try searching the manuals first, you might have better luck...

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//hal_pyvcp...#sec:pyvcp-with-axis

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sadmeatball

More
06 Jun 2010 15:43 #3080 by grewgood
Hi, I have managed to get this working but cant say exactly what I did. I think it is in the syntax somewhere. Extensive use of "Show Hal Config" helped me to trace what was and what wasn't working and what could be linked to etc. One thing that threw me off was the addition by pyvcp of -f and -i to the scale type widgets. eg if halpin is "spinoveride", then in the hal it must be linked to pyvcp.spinoveride-f. I am not sure what the -f stands for.

Still cant get my spindle to change speed via the pyvcp but I will log that in separate thread if I dont succeed.

More
06 Jun 2010 15:50 #3081 by grewgood
Sorry John, thats my bad...

They are actually in my custom_postgui.hal. (By now I could probably recite that section of the manual.... :) )

More
06 Jun 2010 16:02 #3082 by BigJohnT
Gee Wiz I hate to keep beating you over your head with the manuals LOL but,

from the manual:

Scale controls a float or a s32 pin. You increase or decrease the value of the pin be either dragging the slider, or pointing at the scale and rolling your mouse-wheel. The "halpin" will have both "-f" and "-i" added to it to form the float and s32 pins. Width is the width of the slider in vertical and the height of the slider in horizontal orientation.

John

More
06 Jun 2010 17:02 #3083 by grewgood
Just had my Ahh-ha moment..... LOL

Amazing how many times you read something and dont quite see it!!

Still can highly recommend the Show Hal Configuration for solving this kind of problem. I think I had some white spaces in names. It was able to show if the pin was recognised and I could check the name against the postgui.hal name for consistency.

Thanks John

More
06 Jun 2010 18:27 #3084 by BigJohnT
Hal Show Configuration is one of my favorite tools as well as the comment marker # when I'm fiddling with my hal files.

If you read something and it ain't right or doesn't make sense I'm the go to guy for suggestions to improve the manuals. I try to take an EMC new-bee's view when I work on a section of the manual.

Glad you got it working.

John

More
09 Jun 2010 16:40 #3094 by grewgood
Sorry, I am back again.Probably something silly....??

net min-home-x => pyvcp.xlimitswitch
net min-home-y => pyvcp.ylimitswitch
net max-home-z => pyvcp.zlimitswitch

#net myhalxpos <= halui.axis.o.pos-relative => pyvcp.my-x-position
#net myhalypos <= halui.axis.1.pos-relative => pyvcp.my-y-position
#net myhalzpos <= halui.axis.2.pos-relative => pyvcp.my-z-position

net xvel-cmd <= axis.0.joint-vel-cmd => pyvcp.my-x-velocity
net yvel-cmd <= axis.1.joint-vel-cmd => pyvcp.my-y-velocity
net zvel-cmd <= axis.2.joint-vel-cmd => pyvcp.my-z-velocity

In the first three lines above, I get the limit switches fine in my ui - nice.
In the last three lines I get the joint velocity fine.
But in the three lines with # I get:- pin 'halui.axis.0.pos-relative' does not exist. (when no # obviously)

Yet I can see them in the "show hal configuration"

Am I missing another "-f" John? :)

regards

Greg

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds