Debian 2.7 spindle enabled at Debian bootup

More
06 Dec 2016 02:53 #83707 by comjon
Installed the Debian 2.7 version, followed the direction about commenting out loadrt_parport in the hal file, and can use S commands successfully in Axis to control the spindle speed on my Mesa Spinx1.

The problem is, if the Spinx1 is plugged in during boot of the Debian OS, the spindle turns on at maximim rpms until the boot is finished, Linuxcnc started, and an M05 command send through Axis.

Likely something simple I overlooked when setting up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2016 13:01 #83740 by andypugh
This is probably nothing to do with LinuxCNC as such, as when the problem starts LinuxCNC isn't even running.

It sounds like the default outputs of the IO pins you are using are causing problems up to the point that LinuxCNC takes charge of them.

What interface are you using? If it is a parallel port (though you say you commented out the parallel port, so I am unsure) then you could try moving the spindle-on signal to one of the hardware-inverted pins.

More
12 Feb 2017 15:19 #87871 by comjon
Annotation: The Spinx1 powers up during the Debian 2.7 boot process "Synthesizing the initial hot plug events".

@Andy: The concern I have with this is primarily one of safety for other users who are setting this up. Should the Debian build not have the spindle on signal disabled by default ?

Thanks.

More
12 Feb 2017 17:29 #87876 by tommylight

Should the Debian build not have the spindle on signal disabled by default ?

Thanks.

It is disabled, in fact it has nothing to do with debian or linuxcnc. That is a hardware problem, namely parallel port was used to send diagnostic data during boot process on computers. If you do not have it connected through parallel port, the problem is in whatever interface you are using to control the spindle, not in debian or Linuxcnc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: comjon

More
19 Feb 2017 12:32 #88257 by andypugh

Annotation: The Spinx1 powers up during the Debian 2.7 boot process "Synthesizing the initial hot plug events".

This probably indicates that the parallel port pins change state during boot. This is not something that LinuxCNC has direct control over.
It might be possible to avoid loading parport_pc, or some related module. It sounds like the problem is not during hardware boot, at least. Or it might suffice to switch the SPINX1 to a different parallel port pin with better behaviour.

More
10 Mar 2017 14:23 #89330 by comjon
Fixed this by configuring the second parallel card, something I forgot to do. Thanks Andy!

Time to create page: 0.374 seconds