milltask error 11 at start up ...

More
26 Jun 2017 08:25 #94960 by bkt
Hi at all....

last week (or two week ago) I post about problem some trouble about my config and mesa card. At last (with precious hel of PCW) I found that mesa electronics is an innocent spectator of this and is not guilty.

But today in another machine with real old (2 year) install on ubuntu 10.04 i saw this mistake again.

Eventually, the problem is solved by deleting the file position.txt mymachine configuration folder.
This is not the first time this happens and now happens in very different machines, this is for example a JA8 (very old) but last week it was a 2.8 master ... the solution at the end is always the usual delete the file position .txt ..... but the question is why does this happen?

The machine is placed in different location, the electric power is totally different and the problem comes almost for sure after the thunderstorms, after disturbances on the power line (last two week it got very hot here and the energy sources were affected ... so a miltask error 11 appeared) ... this end Week there were storms ... but the machines were off. Today I see these error again...

There are some solution for these? (ok I cam make a bash script that cancel position.txt file every time tha pc go on .... but is not a nice solution.... I think that know where problem came is better).

My reasoning is that if it depends on a power failure (spike or other type of failure), then I should see it turned on (this happened with the master 2.8 two weeks ago) but now as in the past the error only appeared when restarted after a day or two Of stop .... and this has happened on 2,6 ja8 / ja9 / not ja ... so I think there are something more than electrical fault ...

Can position.txt sometimes be bad written when linuxcnc closes? ... maybe because the pc turns off before linuxcnc is completely closed or for other causes? Knowing what could help me to end this boredom.

regards
Giorgio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2017 11:21 #94978 by Todd Zuercher
My guess would be an improper shutdown is the source of the problem, But to be honest, I've never ran into the problem myself with several machines that have experienced many power interruptions over the last 6-7 years. However these machines have been running what ever the current general release is not Master or another experimental branch.

How do the contents of the corrupted position file compare with a good one?
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt

More
26 Jun 2017 13:06 #94984 by tommylight
That can most probably be due to writing to hdd at the time of power loss, or a failing hdd.
Had to install a computer twice this week due to short power cuts and geting kernel panic after that. Old hard drives tend to do that occasionaly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt

More
27 Jun 2017 07:09 - 27 Jun 2017 07:12 #95021 by bkt
@tommylight & Todd ... honestly ... Among the various machines the only thing that is common is the disk brand and cpu brand ... some ssd 2.5 "other mini-ssd all kingston, some with intel I3 2th gen, other 3th gen, all other 5th gen ... no other similitude ... all machines with different hardware (asus, asrok, smi, intel motherboard. Ram of various brand, 2 different brand in the same pc somethings)... so far I was smart enough to save a file position.txt to compare with others .... but I think that the problem is memory allocations not the file itself .... once deleted the file the allocations reset ... it would be strange if something so bulky as a file was breaks.

Any how the next time (i hope never again) I save the old position.txt file on usb pen and post here it. As work around I install phoenix contact filtered power supply for my pc. Let's see if I have any other similar mistakes. If I do not write anything about it, that's the right answer.

What are the ssd or hhd brands you use? And please specify if hhd or ssd .... so that you can have a trace.

Thanks to all

Giorgio
Last edit: 27 Jun 2017 07:12 by bkt.

More
27 Jun 2017 11:50 #95030 by Todd Zuercher
I have not ever used anything special for hard drives. Just what ever old HD our IT guy had laying around, or what ever came in the old re-purposed computer. Western Digital, Seagate, other OE drive...

More
28 Jun 2017 00:59 #95083 by tommylight
Power supply was next on my list, cheap ones are .......well cheap. Check the motherboard capacitors if you can see any buldging on them ( swollen top of capacitor ). If you see any suspicious cap, change the power supply to something high quality.
From my extencive experience with computer hardware it is a shame how bad and cheap are power supply's compared to other computer parts.
A few days ago i had to service a computer with a Corsair CX750 power supply, it had the 12V rectifiers short circuited inside and took the 300$ graphic card with it, and those are high quality ones, but it happens.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds