Newbie Question: Non Parallel port relay control

More
11 Aug 2010 16:52 - 11 Aug 2010 22:37 #3706 by marc_the_kiwi
Hi there.

I've got myself well on the way to completing a diy pcb mill. I intend to use a dremel (well, a dremel equivalent that cost 15 from Aldi) and am looking at relay on/off control of said tool. In the future, I may also add other things to be controlled by relay too (lights, vacuum table, etc).

My control interface is a simple uln2803 interface and I have consequently used all of my output pins on my sole parallel port. I don't really want to add a parallel port card (not a cost issue, just have no space left in my extremely small pc case that has driver electronics and is encompassed in the base of my mill).

Is there any way I can specify calling an external command to control the on/off of the motor? I already have a load of 1-wire gear, so could simply use a 1-wire relay board and a shell script to control on/off of any device I wish. Is there something like this that can be accomplished?

At the end of the day, if really doesn't _really_ matter, but for the 'whole shi-bang' (mostly bragging rights), I would like to accomplish this if possible.

I have a fair bit of knowledge in a few areas (avr uc, etc), but any info/pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! :)
Last edit: 11 Aug 2010 22:37 by BigJohnT. Reason: remove bad character

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2010 17:06 #3707 by andypugh

More
11 Aug 2010 21:34 - 11 Aug 2010 22:01 #3711 by marc_the_kiwi
I hadn't even thought for a second about this!

Yep, this is definately an option, and one I'll most likely take. Although, now that you've suggested this, I've looked around and found the 'Contributed Components' page. I think the HAL -> Arduino interface is the way I'm going to go.

I have a few spare uc's around so will throw a basic dunio together and use this. It'll give me a higher number of digital i/o and the option of analog if i ever take my dremel apart and figure out how to use it in place of the pot used for speed control.

Thanks a million!
Last edit: 11 Aug 2010 22:01 by marc_the_kiwi.

More
11 Aug 2010 22:39 #3714 by BigJohnT
Marc,

Just so you know why your message didn't show up the software won't take funny characters like the pound money sign and other things like smart quotes. I edited your message to remove it so it would show up.

John

More
12 Aug 2010 02:54 #3717 by marc_the_kiwi
Thanks, I was wondering what the heck was going on, but figured the subject said it all anyway. Will remember from now on.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds