Current turning capabilities status

More
14 Apr 2014 13:56 #45936 by emcPT
For point 1, and for reference to others I simply added the line:

live_plotter.clear()

under the def task_run(*event): in the file emc/usr_intf/axis/scripts/axis.py

Now each time the run is pressed the plotter gets cleared.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2017 07:22 #87804 by isaac
Hello.

Really sorry for bother you, I will introduce myself first; my name is Isaac Navarro from Mexico city and I am reading a topic you post here in 2013 regarding driving a 15KW AC Motor
forum.linuxcnc.org/26-turning/26065-curr...-status?limitstart=0
I have just bought an old Okuma lathe and I would like to retrofit it. But I have the same problem you had in 2013.
My question here is if you were able to use the VFD for this motor… Will it work well.
Thanks for your time, have a nice day and greetings from Mexico.

//Isaac

More
12 Feb 2017 20:22 #87884 by emcPT
Hello Isaac.

I was able to use a "standard" VFD to drive the motor. I had to use a oversized VFD to fit the amperage needed by the motor. I cannot recall values very well, but the motor was low voltage, like 160V and high amperage, lets assume 40A, so I had to find a VFD that could fit my mains voltage (400V) and that was able to drive 40A. This resulted in a very large VFD, but at the end it was very capable to speeding up and down very fast (I also had to buy a braking resistor set - just this was about 1000€).

But at the end I got a fully working machine. Big, old, but strong enough for most of the jobs. In fact the mechanics of the old Okuma are no less than newer machines. I might even say better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: isaac

More
12 Feb 2017 22:55 #87887 by isaac
Hello, First of all Thanks!! For your quick answer. Very happy to know that there are members in this group willing to help :-)

Regarding the VFD, yes I notice that the VFD must be a Big one, but I was uncertain to buy one because I didn’t know it the Spindle Motor was an induction motor or not. But I will try it now with your valuable information.
The machine is really strong and I´ve got it at a very good price so if I can make the retrofit it will be really helpful at my workshop.

Thanks again

More
12 Feb 2017 23:23 #87888 by tommylight
Finding out the type of motor is easy if you have access to it, find an LED or a smal dc motor or a volt meter, wire that to spindle wires, turn the spindle by hand, if it produces light/movement/voltage that is a permanent magnet motor, if not it is an induction motor.
Do not power the machine while doing this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: isaac

More
12 Feb 2017 23:41 #87891 by isaac
Thanks for the tip... :)

More
13 Feb 2017 09:49 #87900 by emcPT
If you have the original documentation you can compare to the one that I have posted in page nº2 of this thread.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds