Question about VFD

More
23 Apr 2017 22:34 #91907 by Biersmythe
I am looking for a VFD that works with linuxcnc. I have read on this forum, that the Huan Yang brand VFD works well. The question I have is can I use a 2 hp rated VFD with a 1 hp 3 phase motor? Will the following work with linuxcnc without to much issue? Thank you.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110V-VARIABLE-FREQUEN...T-SALE-/180961979940

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2017 03:01 #91925 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Question about VFD
Most any VFD will work perfectly fine with Linuxcnc.

Beware of the super cheep possibly counterfeit VFDs available on ebay. They can be junk.
(The old adage "You get what you pay for" most assuredly applies.)

More
24 Apr 2017 16:55 #91978 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic Question about VFD
Hello

I have worked with installing many VFDs over the years in industrial and ship borne applications. If this the first time you have used one do your self a favor and buy recognized supported major industrial brand commonly used in your area. Be sure it comes with a manual in your native language or one you can get in person assistance with. You will have much less frustration and a working solution sooner that way. Then after you have a few under your belt use the cheap ones from unknown sources.

John

More
03 May 2017 02:44 - 03 May 2017 02:45 #92558 by olly_richman
Replied by olly_richman on topic Question about VFD
Hi mate,
I'm new to the forum and know very little about CNC yet, but I am very experienced with VFD's and DC drives.
If your looking for a decent VFD, look no further then Invertek, they are a British made brand, very easy to use, excellent phone support and very reasonable prices.
I have fitted 5 to a large machine in a factory (various sizes from 3 - 22kw), they run all day, every day and have been fantastic so far (2 years).

A Bit of general advice is to go for the next rating up from your motor, as it will be less prone to overload on heavy torque. Also if you are running the motor at low speeds for long periods it might be worth getting forced ventilation as the motors fan will not cool the motor enough when it's turning slowly.
Anyway if you have any problems or need help setting up your drive, I'm happy to help.
All the best,
Olly
Last edit: 03 May 2017 02:45 by olly_richman. Reason: Typo

More
06 May 2017 15:33 - 11 May 2017 21:32 #92745 by Biersmythe
Replied by Biersmythe on topic Question about VFD
Thx Olly! That was the information I was looking for. Ill check out Invertek. I have experience with VFD drive installation and use just not the selection for application.
Last edit: 11 May 2017 21:32 by Biersmythe. Reason: SP

More
07 May 2017 23:41 #92797 by olly_richman
Replied by olly_richman on topic Question about VFD
The last time I bought an invertec drive, I got it online from the motor control warehouse, there prices were the cheapest I could find anywhere and saved more then 30% of our usual engineering suppliers. Out of interest are you looking for a single -> three phase drive or have you got three phase available 'on tap' ?
Olly

More
11 May 2017 22:16 #93053 by Biersmythe
Replied by Biersmythe on topic Question about VFD
I am looking for a single -> three phase. I have looked at Invertec drives, but haven't found one in the U.S. that will fit my needs. 115-220 single in, 220 three out, 2 HP. I did find a KB Electronics KBDF-27D that fits the bill for a really reasonable cost. We have KB VFD on our portable pumps at work and they have run fine for about 4 years now. I haven't decided yet I'm still looking.

More
12 May 2017 02:51 #93059 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Question about VFD
My understanding is that most 3-phase drives are capable of running a 3 phase motor off of single phase. Provided the drive doesn't have a safety that shuts it down when a phase is lost. The GS2/3 drives from Automation direct would work and a quick google search brings up lots of hits.

More
12 May 2017 14:44 #93094 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Question about VFD
If you can live with the same voltage out as in, then almost any VFD will work.

Ones that double the input voltage exist, but are much rarer.

It is possible to re-arrange the input stage of a VFD to double the voltage. (re-configure the rectifier as a Delon circuit: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_doubler#Delon_circuit ) so that you can run a 400V motor from a 400V VFD on a 240V supply.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds