Indicator / Warning lights on my lathe

More
08 May 2017 18:55 #92861 by tecno

This indicator/warning light assembly has been sitting on my lathe for a long time now and it is time to hook this one up.

Problem I have is lack of outputs and also lack of space to add another PCI board.
So, can I use Arduino for this and how to *connect* proper signals to Arduino?

Hints, links do's and dont's

Cheers
Bengt
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2017 20:50 #92876 by rodw
Its not going to help due to your lack of outputs, but here's how I implemented warning lights on a Mesa 7i76e

forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32029...build?start=20#85378

Make sure you follow the links in the relevant posts.

Maybe its time to consider a hardware upgrade to Mesa? The 7i76e features 5 stepgens, Spindle control, and 32 inputs and 16 outputs.

More
09 May 2017 11:03 #92906 by tecno
At the moment no Mesa as I still need to have the lathe working with Mach3 until I feel comfortable with LCNC.

But I have 7i90HD + 7i42 + 7i42A + 7i37T and New AC servos for X/Z and 3kW AC servo for spindle and then there is no going back to run Mach3. PathPilot is the next step when I go with Mesa. Would like to exchange my 7i90HD to ethernet board but not so sure if it will work OK.

Thanks for the links on your setup for indicator lights.

Cheers
Bengt

More
12 May 2017 11:22 #93067 by andypugh

Problem I have is lack of outputs and also lack of space to add another PCI board.

There is a HAL component that can use the status lines of a serial port, perhaps that gives you enough?

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/serport.9.html

4 lights and 3 outputs?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlieplexing maybe.

More
12 May 2017 11:39 #93071 by tecno
Not a bad idea but I only have one RS232 port and it is now occupied by the touchscreen.

Have decided to rebuild and replace my home made BoB to something more modern with PWM and also I have ordered one PCI extension cable so I can setup another 1284 PCI port. This will make life a lot easier as I then can connect encoder on spindle.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds