Problems with the Boxford240 toolchanger component on Emco Compact 5 CNC

More
18 Sep 2017 17:54 #99093 by javanree
I'm slowly converting an Emco 5 CNC to LinuxCNC, replacing all the electronics.
For now it's a cheap LPT board, 3 DM542 steppers and a cheap Atom board driving it, LinuxCNC 2.7.11

Finally I've been able to get it to run as it should, even getting the toolchanger module to work. Sorta...

First of all there appears to be a long delay after a forward rotate, before it does the backwards rotate against the pawl. It feels like 2-3 seconds. But I can't find this pause anywhere in the code?

Second, the change works as long as I don't move more than 3 steps, but if I do like M6T6 while T2 was active the turret will try to spin backwards :(

I've modified the toolchanger.comp code, replacing all the references of 8 positions to only 6 and both the even and uneven steps are declared as 31.0 degrees. I've also had to set fudge factor to 2 to get it to lock properly.
The modified file is attached, I'd appreciate any pointers.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2017 02:19 #99232 by andypugh
I find it quite hard to follow other people's code, but I think that there might be a max 7000 servo cycles delay in:
                          if(position_req >= 70)
                                delay = 70;
                            else
                                delay = position_req;

That would be 7 seconds.

More
25 Sep 2017 08:03 #99394 by javanree
Thanks for looking into it.
Unfortunately the same delay is used several times in the code, so if I change it other things no longer work.
All in all, for my use I will need to rewrite it and in the meantime learn to live with the limits of the current component.

More
27 Sep 2017 06:25 #99505 by javanree
For now I managed to solve the most urgent issue (turret going wrong way on large moves) by changing the scale of the rotating axis in the INI file and by dividing the angle again by two in the toolchanger.comp file (so for my Emco which has tool mounts every 60 degrees I now have a move_odd and move_even of 15.5 degrees)

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds