Mesa Cards and Inductive Proximity Switches

More
26 May 2014 16:50 - 26 May 2014 16:51 #47335 by Skippy1
Guys,

I'm currently running mechanical limit and homing switches on a little CNC router using Mesa 5I24 and 7I76 cards. On a lathe I have just started rebuilding I want to use the same cards, but with inductive proximity switches instead. Probably something like the little Omron TL series.

I take it that the switches will play nicely with the cards. I guess that the switches will be fine for limit switches, but are they accurate/repeatable enough to be used as a homing sensor? I've had a look at the Omron data sheets, but can't work out if they are.

Cheers,

Steve
Last edit: 26 May 2014 16:51 by Skippy1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2014 19:29 #47344 by lisandromassera
I´ve used inductive switches of 12mm diameter as homing swithches with 5i25 + 7i76 and I've achieved a repeatability of less than 0.1mm on linear axes and less than 0.05° degrees on circular axes (the sensor is 50mm away from the center of rotation of the axis). I'd guess that having the sensor farther away from the center of rotation should give you more repeatability.
I would recommend to double check if NPN or PNP output are more compatible with the card, so as to avoid having to use external components. I don´t remember exactly which one was better, I only remember having messed it up when I ordered the sensors and having to use pull up resistors to fix it.
Best luck,
Lisandro

More
26 May 2014 20:57 #47347 by emcPT
In a lathe use encoders with index. No not think in anything else.
A inductive or mechanical switch is not enough for a lathe, especially in the X axis. A encoder with index is nowadays inexpensive (>40€) and will give you a good homing.

More
26 May 2014 21:21 #47351 by PCW
for 7I76 (and 7I77,7I70,7I66,7I84) inputs,
PNP type proximity switches are the best
(no external components)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Immutef

More
27 May 2014 08:26 #47378 by andypugh

I guess that the switches will be fine for limit switches, but are they accurate/repeatable enough to be used as a homing sensor?

I have them on my mill, but I can't say how repeatable they are as I also home to index. (Actually, I have resolvers, so it's possibly even more accurate than an index).

But many of these things turn out to be a lot more repeatable than specified. What noise factors might effect the triggering point of a prox? The target won't change, though metal chips might alter the local magnetic environment. There might be a temperature dependency, and a supply voltage dependency. If the noise factors don't change then you will probably find that run-to-run on timescales of days the sensors are very repeatable. There may be long-term drifts, but those don't really matter.

More
30 Aug 2014 14:07 #50505 by Skippy1
I tried an Omron TL-Q5MC2 inductive sensor the other day. Long story short, very happy with the performance of it.

I mounted it in the tool holder on a manual lathe, connected it to 12vdc, monitored the NC output, and ran it back and forth past across the end face of a piece of 1/2" square mild steel. Had the sensor hanging as far out of the tool holder as I could, as the instructions said that if it was adjacent to, or shrouded by metal, it reduces the sensitivity. Set the gap between the sensor and the metal at the recommended range of 40 thou. Used the lathe DRO to measure the travel of the sensor.

When approaching the metal, the voltage slowly dropped from 12v to 5v over a distance of 10 thou', and finally 'triggered' down to 0.7v at 13 thou'. When retracting away from the metal, there was no gradual change in the voltage - at a specific point, which was repeatable to about 1 thou, the voltage jumped from 0.7v straight up to 12v.

A larger mass of metal as the target, (6" lathe chuck), only made minor improvements to the accuracy. A larger gap between the sensor and metal, (up to 150 thou), doubled the approach range, but made no difference to the accuracy of the retracting trigger point. Mounting the sensor with the body shrouded by the tool holder, (front face flush with the end of the holder), made the biggest change to the approach range, increasing it to 55 thou, but had little effect on the accuracy of the retracting trigger point.

I think that this would be ideal for a limit switch, and also a homing switch where it is set up to approach/trigger, and then back off/trigger to set the home position. Cheers, Steve

More
01 Sep 2014 23:08 #50579 by andypugh

Had the sensor hanging as far out of the tool holder as I could, as the instructions said that if it was adjacent to, or shrouded by metal, it reduces the sensitivity

There are "shielded" and "unshielded" types. if the threaded sleeve extends all the way to the end then the prox is "shielded" and these are a lot easier to work with in a machine tool.

I have a few of them embedded in actual slideways in places that never see any swarf using a hole drilled in the mating part as a target.
picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PtEG4xP6Ic...pFm0?feat=directlink shows a couple in my milling machine prior to being wired up.

More
18 Feb 2015 15:05 #56064 by Skippy1
Thanks for the tip Andy - that's a top idea.

I purchased a pair of the Omron M5 threaded tube PNP shielded type, (E2E-X1B1) and tested them. They have a really crisp on/off point on the approach and retract, repeatable to about a thou'.

As suggested, I plan to bury them in the carriage cross-slide dovetail in drilled and tapped passages. Once I conform the travel limits, I'll drill corresponding 5mm divots in the mating part.

Cheers, Steve

More
25 Nov 2016 10:24 - 25 Nov 2016 10:25 #83258 by rodw

for 7I76 (and 7I77,7I70,7I66,7I84) inputs,
PNP type proximity switches are the best
(no external components)

Damn, I have a 7i76e and I've been collecting NPN proximity switches. Can someone tell me what external components are required and where they should be connected on a 24 volt NPN proximity switch? I'm guessing a pullup resistor or something is required. What value resistor?
Last edit: 25 Nov 2016 10:25 by rodw.

More
25 Nov 2016 11:47 #83261 by andypugh
Reading the manual, it sounds like the inputs on the expansion connectors are 5V logic with pull-up (whereas the GPIO is 32V inputs with pull-down) so it might make sense to interface the proximity switches to the expansion connector rather than the terminal blocks.

But see what PCW says about this, it might be a terrible idea.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds