Mesa 7i90 in SPI mode

More
03 Nov 2016 15:10 #82377 by jtheath
Replied by jtheath on topic Mesa 7i90 in SPI mode
You're welcome. Polling is a fine solution.

To make things really robust you have to make certain you can't get stuck. By this I mean if there is a busy-wait check on some condition(s) one also needs to keep track of how much time is spent waiting and if the maximum interval passes take appropriate error recovery action.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2016 15:00 #82426 by vmarkiv
Replied by vmarkiv on topic Mesa 7i90 in SPI mode
I want test Raspberry Pi 3 with LINUXCNC and SPI PLUTO-P driver . Where I can download image file for PI 3 ?

More
04 Nov 2016 15:38 - 08 Feb 2017 20:14 #82429 by tinkerer
Replied by tinkerer on topic Mesa 7i90 in SPI mode
Last edit: 08 Feb 2017 20:14 by tinkerer.

More
17 Nov 2016 20:17 #82923 by sleepybishop
Replied by sleepybishop on topic Mesa 7i90 in SPI mode
hi joe, i tested your driver on a 6 hour job, seems to work really well. you should submit a pull request for it and hopefully itll get merged in to master.

how are your plans with the pine64 moving along?

More
18 Nov 2016 04:15 #82948 by jtheath
Replied by jtheath on topic Mesa 7i90 in SPI mode
Hello sleepybishop!

Thank you for running these changes. I am happy to hear your positive result. Could you tell me a bit about your system and job? What kind of machine is it and what speeds do you use? Are you running headless - no native display?

I have seen an occasional SPI Message timeout and am working on optimizing the standard spi-bcm2835.c code.

The Pine64 activity remains only a plan. I have the board running but need to apply the RT patches and enable the SPI device before rebuilding the kernel.

Once again - all the best! Joe

More
18 Nov 2016 21:10 #82971 by sleepybishop
my machine is an ultimaker clone (www.thingiverse.com/thing:811271), i built two of them, im in the process of using them to build drone parts. the job i ran was the main frame. it was printed at 80mm/s with 150mm/s rapids.

im running them with arch linux arm instead of debian mostly as a personal preference of linux distributions and partly because it was easy to add the rt patch to their kernel package build. i run headless because though axis loads it does run a little sluggish and eats up a bunch of ram, so i run linuxcncrsh to send commands over the network, its a little backwards but i hope to make some improvements there in the future.

i have not seen spi message timeouts.

wrt to the pine64, ide love to experiment with these boards as well but seems like the kernels available are a bit behind, though support is slowly trickling into mainline, (linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort)

thanks again!

More
10 Mar 2017 14:20 - 10 Mar 2017 14:20 #89329 by PKM
Replied by PKM on topic Mesa 7i90 in SPI mode
Hello,
I think I should ask here about jepler's Raspberry Pi adapter oshpark.com/shared_projects/bZNakuZs
I'd never ordered anything from oshpark before, so getting the boards was a nice experience.
Now I'm ready to solder, just need to make sure I do it correct.
Please check the pics
Warning: Spoiler!
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Mar 2017 14:20 by PKM.

More
13 Mar 2017 17:06 - 13 Mar 2017 17:34 #89532 by PKM
Well I found well hidden "1" near 26pin connector and soldered the adapter correctly.
The board seems to work with Pi 2!

I flashed 7i90 with SPI firmware via EPP on a PC. But what if I want to flash another firmware via EPP? What I understood from the manual:
1. Set W3 down.
2. Power up the board with a backup EPP firmware
3. Set W3 up and flash primary firmware via EPP.
Is this correct?

I would prefer to install mesaflash to Raspberry Pi and flash via SPI, is it possible? Is github.com/micges/mesaflash the correct source?
Last edit: 13 Mar 2017 17:34 by PKM.

More
13 Mar 2017 18:01 #89536 by sleepybishop
yes, the mesaflash from github has spi support. something like

mesaflash --device 7i90 --spi --addr /dev/spidev0.0 --write myfile.bit

your mileage may vary depending on kernel support. spi support on the pi has improved with later kernel releases, but depending on your distribution, the spi drivers may be a bit behind the times.

More
13 Mar 2017 18:25 #89538 by PKM
Thanks sleepybishop!

I use the latest RASPBIAN image. But the kernel must be one-year-old, 4.4.4rt9 from machinekit website...
If you know how where to get a more recent rt kernel, please give me a hint.
Compiling a kernel must take eternity on a raspberry...

Anyways, tomorrow I'll try installing mesaflash on Pi.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds